Username Password: Remember me

FS - '88 944-spec project
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: FS - '88 944-spec project

Re: FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years, 1 month ago #12964

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
Dillon (nor I) really check this forum often.
Dillon is a very humble guy so let me help by providing more information.
I can vouch for this car as I had quite a bit of seat time in it. I drove the car in 2 enduros as well as in practice/ tt sessions. The car is very well balanced and easy to drive. The suspension setup is perfect and needs nothing done, all with high end parts.
The 88 motor was a strong motor and the teardown revealed everything to be in good shape, the burning oil and reduced power was due to ring misalignment (the gaps in a couple of them were nearly in-line) . I honestly suspect the binding issue to be either something to do with the clutch/ pressure plate/ clutch fork or something silly going on in the bottom end. With the engine only have been turned over by hand and minimally with the starter I highly doubt any damage to be done.
What Dillon did not mention is that the head was rebuilt with a competition valve job by the same shop that does work for 944Motorwerks, David Dirks' engine building service (2010 944 spec nat champ and 2011 944 spec nat pole setter).
The role cage alone is worth nearly what he is asking, Hank builds the best 944 cages and this one has many of the high end options. Hank also installed his seat mount bracing in the car, a very good and safe solution to the notorious floorboard seat-mount ripping out problem.
The car has never been involved in any race incidents and looks as good as a 25 year old Porsche race car could. ( front valence has the typical splitting on the bottom).
The only thing I would change in this car is to put an LSD in the back.
and some specs...
suspension
350lb front springs
koni yellow struts
ground control coil overs
camber plates
turbo 27mm front swaybar with new bushings
aluminum 88 front control arms (better geometry)
30mm torsion bar
koni yellow shocks
recently replaced suspension bushings
weltmeister rear swaybar
968 caster blocks

chassis
1988 chassis
fully gutted and lightened
quick release steering wheel
4 pole killswitch
right side net with quickrelease
left side net with hanksville quick release

hanksville cage with nascar bars
hanksville seat/ submarine mount bracing
sparco seat

Engine/ Drivetrain

88 motor w/ competition valve job and rebuilt head/ resurfaced etc $$, new rings, new gaskets throughout, currently not turning over.
recently replaced clutch and pressure plate
short 5th gear
factory tubular header (the best header allowed in 944 spec)
88 dme (highest rev limiter and faster processing)
6 blade radiator fans

I'm sure there's more that I'm not including as this is all I can remember and it's not my car.

This car would be a great deal and easily a front pack/ winning car.
I think Dillon should fix it and then sell it/ or race it but it's not my car. This is a great deal for whoever has the time and know-how to do it. I already have one too many race cars according to my wife...
Somebody pick it up and win some races.

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re: FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years, 1 month ago #12967

great write up. I am interested and a potential cash buyer. If you can, can you answer the following?

Does Dillon have the title?

Would the cage allow for a 2nd seat to be installed?

How can we get it to Charlotte?

thanks again.

Re: FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years, 1 month ago #12970

• Dillon
  • Drivers Ed
Yeah, what he said Thanks Chris for vouching for the car.

I do have the title; it's clean and in my name. The cage doesn't affect the seating area, so a 2nd seat could be installed easily. It can be flat towed pretty much anywhere...it has a separate bumper with a tow bar installed. I'd be willing to tow it down there for you too if you can pay for my gas, but I don't have a truck right now, so I'd have to look into renting one. That still might be cheaper than paying a shipping company to bring it down there, which I figure would cost at least $1200. If you're interested, feel free to give me a call, three 0 three 7 two five 3 seven seven 3.

Re: FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years, 1 month ago #12971

Dillon,

Out of town on work right now. Back in CLT in tomorrow evening. Will try to call you then or Saturday.

Here is my email: carsandcappuccino at gmail dot com. If you can, fire some pics of the interior my way.

Thx,

Trent

Re: FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years, 1 month ago #12975

• Dillon
  • Drivers Ed
The interior is actually apart right now as I decided to remove some more of the sound deadening a while back, but I plan on cleaning it up and putting it back together soon. Hopefully this weekend, if not then within the next couple weeks. I'll get some current-state pics this weekend anyway.

Re: FS - '88 944-spec project 12 years ago #12988

OK Rocky Mountain 944-ers...Dillon and I have been chatting and texting over the weekend. I agree what some of you have posted here that he seems like a very nice guy. So I think we are going to do a deal and that will require me to send him funds via PayPal. It is a little scary to do this, but based on my conversations with Dillon and some of your posts, I am going to take the leap of trust here. Any words of encouragement are welcomed.
Moderators: SvoChuck, joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds