Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Alternator troubles
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alternator troubles

Re: Alternator troubles 10 years, 5 months ago #16853

for the tensioner breaking, please make sure everything lines up. I have to put about an inch and a half of washers on the passenger side connection to line things up correctly. I could also see this putting torque on the bracket, breaking it as well. You may already be doing this, but I just thought I would mention it since it looks so silly when it is done correctly.

Re: Alternator troubles 10 years, 5 months ago #16854

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I will have to go check Lil'Kat's car, as well as mine. I have never had a belt problem and do not shim the tensioner either. I may have been lucky.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Alternator troubles 10 years, 5 months ago #16855

• Gino230
  • Comp School
Well thanks to Phil I've got the beefy factory bracket on the way. The adjustment strut is straight (I checked). My plan is to make sure the alternator, belt, and strut are all straight and lined up correctly. You would think that if they are all lined up straight there should be very little stress involved.

I guess vibration and chassis torque can do funny things though, it's interesting that some have had multiple broken mounts and struts while others have never had one.....

Are any of you guys running solid motor mounts?

Thanks again guys for all of the advice (and cheap parts!)

Re: Alternator troubles 10 years, 5 months ago #16856

Just curious, what do you use for a spacer? I just use washers, but there has to be something more elegant.

Re: Alternator troubles 10 years, 5 months ago #16857

• Big Dog
  • Banned
We are not allowed to use solid motor mounts, from what I understand.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds