Re: Nationals Update 9 years, 7 months ago #18086

Here is the pole sitter's video.

Nice heads up drive after a spin in oil on lap 1

Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Nationals Update 9 years, 7 months ago #18087

Dan was the most consistent guy all weekend, and drove a great race to take Championship in David Dirk's old #76. Congrats to our Eastern States Champion!
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Nationals Update 9 years, 7 months ago #18088

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Great drive from the back!

Too bad about the early spin.

Looks like a fun rack, lots of high speed turns.

Thanks for posting the video.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Nationals Update 9 years, 7 months ago #18089

Great drive Jason.
Shawn Taylor
Regional Director
NASA Mid South

Re: Nationals Update 9 years, 7 months ago #18094

Here is Gary Barton's weekend summary (3rd place in the championship race)

Eric,

I echo your comments about great racing this past weekend. I feel fortunate to have experienced the event with this group of racers. Not only did we share in some memorable, high octane on track moments, but the off track moments that included bench racing and getting to know one another were equally enjoyed. Okay, on with my stories...

I realize these stories aren't all that short, so feel free to condense any of them down to a cliff notes level.

Off track
Story #1: Arriving Wednesday afternoon, I had a chance to bike the track. This turned out to be more influential than I had imagined - not to mention physically demanding! Experiencing the elevation change by bike while stopping here and there to see the track up close, including the lack of run-off in about every direction, had a real impact on me. Intimidation is one word that comes to mind. However, in typical 944 SPEC fashion, there was support and input abound! Talking this out with the fellas on Wednesday night and Thursday morning, then doing some Traqmate and video download sessions back at Sid's RV, those fears and uncertainties were replaced with confidence and readiness. This is my second Nationals Event and I can say with certainty that the 4 days’ worth of driver education with this group of racers both on and off track surpasses any other race weekend or driving school I've attended, bar none.

Story #2: I won't soon forget this hilarious story. So, Dan Pina has this Honda scooter for running around the paddock. Well, Sid and Sam decided to borrow it to clean up after Thursday's practice sessions in the Hotlanta sun. In tandem on the scooter, they begin their journey from the main paddock over to the timing tower side of the track. As it was getting dark, they decided to pinpoint their destination by asking for directions from a fellow racer. Pulling up on their scooter with Sid at the command and Sam snugly positioned on the back seat (with a towel around his neck) asks the guy "hey do you know where the *good* showers are?" I'm not sure of the facial expression they saw, but soon after confirming their coordinates and departing the scene, Sam realizes how that must have sounded. LOL!

That story still cracks me up!

On track

Story #1: Full throttle, engine roaring, I shift from third to fourth gear heading down the long stretch of track toward turn 9. This is early in the final race on Sunday evening. I'm running in forth and I am smartly gaining on Dan Pina who occupies third but is making his move to the outside as he approaches turn 9. Realizing I have a run on the group, I decided at this point in the race to do what any good racing buddy would do and transfer my car's momentum to Dan's car. The result was something that David Hasselhoff would describe as "Turbo Boost." Dan's car is launched down the inside reaching 10A before the rest of us. In my mind, it was a spectacular scene; I hope my GoPro footage lives up to that memory.

Less rewarding, somewhat frustrating, but nonetheless highly educational, I'll share with you a couple memorable moments that I'm sure most (if not all) of us can relate to.

Story 2: Okay, so Qualifying race #1, after running in third place for several laps, the white flag waves and while heading up the hill from Turn 1, I lose my exhaust. Not only do I lose it, but I run over it with my passenger side rear tire. Of course, that does absolutely nothing to help me setup for Turn 2 and 3. In fact, I end up way off line, jump the curbing at Turn 3, pop out of gear. Struggling to find 3rd, not once, not twice, not even three times, it takes me four times to engage friggin third gear! Oh by the way, under these adrenaline-pumped conditions, I'm quite certain that gear search took less than 2 seconds but felt like an eternity. Anyway, in that dumbfounded moment, Walsh passes me before heading into the esses. Fast forward 20 seconds or so, by what could only be thought of as some miraculous driving, I'm back on Walsh's bumper exiting turn 7 (later I found out his car was having trouble - doh!). Anyway, I'm able to get a good draft run and pass Walsh heading into Turn 10A. Thinking, holy crap, all I need to do is get through 10A-10B and I got this, I go through the turn with what I thought was a good line at a reasonable speed. Nope. Slid out of turn 10B off track, pop it into second and then with my figurative dunce cap on, I cross the finish line behind Walsh in 4th!

Story 3: Qualifying race #2, after a luck-stricken turn of events, I found myself running in first place! I was like holy $%^&! I'm running in first place! By the way, don't think too much about that or you'll lose focus. How do I know? Stay tuned. So for several laps I finally got to sense what it feels like to be Jason Stanley, Daniel Williams and Neal Agran :o) when this orange 944 appeared in my rear view. Yep, it was none other than Neal Agran who was on a crusade from the back of the pack. Not wanting to give up my comfy, feel good position in 1st place, I began summoning the 'Force' from within. Translated: I began to brake deeper, carry more speed and keep Neal back there. That worked for like 2-3 laps, and then Neal (with eyes glowing red) passed me after I bit off more than I could chew one too many times. No matter, I was able to hang my tow hook on his rear bumper as he passed to keep up with him. As the white flag flew, I had a slight draft run on Neal heading toward turn 1, and I poked my nose out toward the inside of turn 1, why? Because I thought what a waste to give up all of this glorious speed on the last lap. Bad move. Real bad move. I ended up with a treacherous line through Turn 1 and we know what that can mean for the next few turns, crapola! … Oh and deja vu. Like qualifying race #1, I totally biffed Turn 3, giving me a first row seat to see Pina and Walsh drive on by. Luckily, for me, I was able to get around Walsh again between Turns 7 and 9 when his car began missing again, holding on to a third place finish.

Lessons learned?

QR1: Don't go conservative on your last lap; it screws up your rhythm.

QR2: Don't get greedy and drive smart. Had I waited, the smarter attempt would have been a draft pass attempt on Neal from Turn 7 to 9.

Lookin forward to ACC this weekend!
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds