Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

The Southeast's Newest Car
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: The Southeast's Newest Car

Re: The Southeast's Newest Car 12 years, 3 months ago #12428

• seafeye
  • Senior Racer
You can backdate the control arms to the earlier steel ones. Then the price drops dramatically.

Re: The Southeast's Newest Car 12 years, 3 months ago #12431

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
seafeye wrote:
You can backdate the control arms to the earlier steel ones. Then the price drops dramatically.

Just have to have the right offset wheels to go with this combo I believe
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: The Southeast's Newest Car 12 years, 3 months ago #12433

vpk944 wrote:
Thanks for the info Joe. Looks like I need to call Skip at Paragon this morning. Does anyone have issues with the aluminum front control arms. My previous car had Charlie Arms installed. Am I right that after market control arms are not allowed? I have seen several cars destroyed from broken ball joints on the aluminum arms.

If you car is 85.5 or 86 it is early offset so backdating to the steel arms is great idea. However if it is 87 or 88 then it is late offset. You can still back date, but you will alos need to go with early hubs and go to early offset. Then you will have late offset in the rear and earyl in the front. Legal only if you use the right wheels to return to stock track width. You may also be able to run the steel arms with late hubs and late wheels, but since the arms are shorter you will give up track width in front. Legal, but not sure what impact it will have on handling. Heck I am not 100% sure it will even work as you may have camber problems like that.

In the end what the racers do is those with early offset aluminim back date to steel. This is a pretty easy swap. The late offset guys just run with aluminum arms. Most will replace the ball joints and given the tires we run and the spring rates the number of failures does not seem to be high enough to push for the expensive charlie arms. Remember 2600lbs with driver and only 225/50 R15 RA-1s put alot less stress on parts as compared to a 3000lbs car running 245 hoosiers.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: The Southeast's Newest Car 12 years, 3 months ago #12463

Borrowed my cherry picker and motor stand back from the Fast Tater (Fred) today. I am looking forward to the build. Are there any more takers out there?? Get ahold of myself or Brian if you are interested.

Got a 944 you want to show off or ask a bunch of motorheads a question about? Bring it over.
Michael Dearstyne
NASA-SE 944Spec "Commander" Retired
2012 NASA-SE 944Spec Champion
2013 NASA-SE 944Spec Champion

Re: The Southeast's Newest Car 12 years, 3 months ago #12514

• vpk944
  • Comp School
I was unable to make it. How did the build party go? Mine is going slowly, but surely. Don't suppose any of you need another set of early offset phone dials. Per the rules I can't use them on my car (late offset car). Hope you made good progress this weekend.

Cheers

Re: The Southeast's Newest Car 12 years, 3 months ago #12515

The party was a huge hit and a great time was had by all. Wish you could have made it. Brian is working on posting the pictures we took. Do you have any pictures of your project?
Michael Dearstyne
NASA-SE 944Spec "Commander" Retired
2012 NASA-SE 944Spec Champion
2013 NASA-SE 944Spec Champion
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds