Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage

Re:Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1427

Having seen some 944 wreck pics, I would like to weld some reinforcement bars from the sill to the tunnel to mount my seat to at some point. The floor pan can fail with some types of impacts, which doesn't look pretty. Hanksville (cage builder, RM sponsor) did this type of reinforcement in Whit's Acura, and it looks like money well spent. That is common practice in rally car preparation too. Just my $.02
Last Edit: 15 years, 11 months ago by cullenwinter.

Re:Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1431

cullenwinter wrote:
Having seen some 944 wreck pics, I would like to weld some reinforcement bars from the sill to the tunnel to mount my seat to at some point. The floor pan can fail with some types of impacts, which doesn't look pretty. Hanksville (cage builder, RM sponsor) did this type of reinforcement in Whit's Acura, and it looks like money well spent. That is common practice in rally car preparation too. Just my $.02

Fine with me and ok in the rules as this is for safety not any competitive advantage.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1433

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Jeremy,
This can be repaired by welding. The was done on the #95 25 hours car, my #89 car and I believe Steve's #106 car.
TCDesign said this was more common than you might think.
I like to drill through the floor and use big fender washers, larger bolts rated M8 or higher and a nylock nut per bolt.

Joe,
Were the metal pieces just scraps you had laying around or were they specifically shaped?
I just use big fender washers because they were readily available at any hardware store.

Cullen or Chuck,
Can you get some pictures of the reinforcement Hanksville did for the Acura?
I'm interested in this.
--Ken

Re:Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1435

pixrken wrote:
Joe,
Were the metal pieces just scraps you had laying around or were they specifically shaped?
I just use big fender washers because they were readily available at any hardware store.

They were some scraps I had laying around that seemed quite large. I figure the larger the better. As you can see the inboard side needed smaller backing plates due to where the lines run under the chassis. If you note the two goldish ones the are the sub belt mounts using hardware from the Schroth harness kit. I don't have a picture of the passenger's seat mounting, but for that I used a large plate about 2" by 12 or 14" long to back up the front and rear holes. Again this was stock I had on had and since my car was underweight (need ballast anyway) saving a few ounces was not an issue.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1437

pixrken wrote:

Cullen or Chuck,
Can you get some pictures of the reinforcement Hanksville did for the Acura?
I'm interested in this.

I'll check to see if there are build pics, and will post here....

Re:Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1453

• Jump07
  • Senior Racer
Thanks guys. I think I'll get some burly washers and bolts (how long?) and tackle it this weekend.

J
Jeremy Mathews
NorCal
1985 944 #07
2003 GMC 1500 Sierra Z71
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds