Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Best sandwich plate adapter for oil system?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Best sandwich plate adapter for oil system?

Re:Best sandwich plate adapter for oil system? 15 years, 10 months ago #1721

• Skimr2
  • Drivers Ed
Just ordered up the 951 system used off of ebay for $150. Not too bad I don't think. I'd imagine I need a new gasket to seal the turbo oil cooler unit onto the block. Buy the turbo one, or the N/A one? Or are they the same?

Re:Best sandwich plate adapter for oil system? 15 years, 10 months ago #1727

The gasket and O-rings are the same. Putting the 951 oil filter housing on the car is a simple "by the book" proceedure". All you do is pull the NA parts and put then 951 parts on just like a 951. So follow all the instructions for doing the oil filter housing on the 951. Be sure to align the OPRV (oil pressure relif valve) properly.

You will need to fab a mount for the oil cooler, but if done behind the pass side fog light hole you should be able to reuse the stock 951 lines as I did.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Best sandwich plate adapter for oil system? 15 years, 10 months ago #1731

• Utah944
  • Junior Racer
I bought the MAXSpeed sandwich plate off of Ebay. I have had no issues. one of the benefits is it converts the oil filter to a corvette oil filter and are easy to obtain than a 944. It used -10 line and I have a 12 row mocal cooler which fits nicely in the fog lamp area.

I feel for eric with his sandiwch plate issues but mine has worked well. When I looked for the 951 set up they were $300 bucks for just the adapter.

I would strongly advise against reusing any cooler. You have no idea the history and the last thing you want is to unlodge some metal from a previous blown motor. They are inexpensive enough to buy new.

Re:Best sandwich plate adapter for oil system? 15 years, 10 months ago #1732

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
Any thoughts on the best way to secure the sandwich plate? Extra cleaning and locktite, giant lock washer or just check filter/plate when checking oil?

Re:Best sandwich plate adapter for oil system? 15 years, 10 months ago #1734

• Utah944
  • Junior Racer
The one I have has a rubber gasket built in to the side which mates with the motor. It has an adapter screws on the threads the original filter would use and converts it to the threads for the corvette filter. Te adapter is what secures it to the motor. I do not know which style Eric had.

Re:Best sandwich plate adapter for oil system? 15 years, 10 months ago #1739

I don't know what brand of sandwich plate I had, but it used just one thin bolt to hold the plate to the motor, and then had threads for the filter. It came loose a total of 4 times - sometimes the plate, and sometimes the filter, too. The harder I dared torque that little bolt, the longer it would stay, but it'd eventually come loose, and you have to take the filter off to check it, or tighten it. Your setup sounds like it has a more positive locking action.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds