Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

cage rear mainstays- straight or can have bend?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: cage rear mainstays- straight or can have bend?

Re: cage rear mainstays- straight or can have bend? 10 years ago #17563

Sterling Doc wrote:
Pete - no can do on cutting up the floor, for roll cage attachment. If you need to put a little dent in the fuel fill cover to clear the cage, I have no problem with that.

Look here for how the Hanksville cage attaches:

I just want to clarify:

Those are the points that I want to put the rear bars to. I want to cut the floor away, bend a 6x6 plate to the top of the frame rail and down the side- between the stock tank and rails and weld the tubes to the top side. I then want to make a new floor from an aluminum sheet with re-enforced places as needed and for the stock fuel tank straps. Will this be ok?

By my measurements this fuel cell should be a great fit:

www.speedwaymotors.com/Fuel-Safe-ED117-1...Fuel-Cell,83879.html

It will fit on the passenger side and sit right about the same height and clear the trans-axle.

Thanks,
Pete

Re: cage rear mainstays- straight or can have bend? 10 years ago #17564

If you are putting in a fuel cell, there is an allowance for that, yes. Without a fuel cell, no. Keep in mind the trans is right under the floor, so 944's often need fairly exotic saddle shaped fuel cells that mimic the shape of the OEM tank, or they will stick up into the cargo area a ways. Just make sure you conform to:

17.3.14 The spare tire well may be modified to allow for its removal and replacement all or in part.
An example of this would be cutting the box off or making an access hatch, then reattaching the
box or hatch with fasteners. The spare tire well must retain its stock shape and location in all
cases. The intent of this rule is to allow for better access to the transmission while preventing any
underbody aerodynamic advantages that may result from removing the tire well from the air
stream on cars with 17.4 gallon steel fuel tanks. Only cars using the larger stock plastic 21.1
gallon fuel tank may remove the spare tire well entirely and install a metal panel to cover the hole
at the level of the rear cargo deck.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 10 years ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: cage rear mainstays- straight or can have bend? 9 years, 11 months ago #17704

I was able to just dent the cover as suggested and mirror the poseted pic of the cage.

plus.google.com/photos/11772862586475626.../5801972574991177521

Thanks all!
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds