Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Budget Build 944 Spec racecar - updated 2/17/09
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Budget Build 944 Spec racecar - updated 2/17/09

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 5 months ago #2597

Well, I'll keep up with the purchases in the original post, so there will be a list of all we bought, with prices for reference.

Tim - got that list?

Ken - how do we best organize this?

Bought 350 lb springs, and a turbo front antisway bar for $110 shipped today - wohoo!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 5 months ago #2598

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Hi Eric,

I think you should use the original post and update it as you go till it's finish.
Then if you want to, you can summarize and put it in the "Technical Articles" section.

The "Technical Articles" section already have links to build journals. I can add BJ's build journal if you give me the URL.

I'm working on a winter project budget build car also. I started a little cheaper then you by buying a 944 for $100 (one hundred). I bought the car just for the cookie cutters but it had straight body panels and good paint. The car wasn't running and the previous owner said it has been sitting in the yard for about 10 years. Got rid of the smelly gas, change the fuel pump, pour in some new gas and the engine started up. Turns out the engine has good compression. It is a automatic and the flex plate (flywheel) is broken, don't want to spend money repairing a automatic and a option is to cannibalize it.
I have enough spare parts to convert it to a manual 5-speed and that's the route I going.
--Ken

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 5 months ago #2599

Cool! Good luck with your build as well. With some labor to do the manual swap - could be an amazing cheap donor!

I amazed it started after sitting for ten years! Ten year old timing belt
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 15 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 5 months ago #2600

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Thanks! There will be labor and the cost of a new Sach clutch associate with my build but then I don't have to worry about the clutch for awhile.

I was amazed it started also. The "gas" that was drained from it was very fouled smelling.
I just wanted to see if it can start to get a idea of what I was dealing with. It's a easy decision for me to cannibalize it and take the chassis to a metal salvage yard if the motor didn't run.

You brought up a good point about the timing belt.
I feel this is the weakest point of a 944 and the timing belt is the first thing I change out when I buy a running 944 for track or street.
For a $12 part you can lose your engine if it snaps so why gamble?
--Ken

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 5 months ago #2603

I have a $400 car in my garage ! sold 2 of the wheels for $75 . and some other stuff for $100 .

maybe RMR needs to have a dog in this fight !

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 5 months ago #2604

Chuck

It's not only what you can build it for, it's wether you can win with it!
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds