Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

My Winter Build Journal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: My Winter Build Journal

Re:My Winter Build Journal 15 years, 3 months ago #3226

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
Sounds great Chris. Did you have to "shorten" the spring plate bushing? I have seen that problem mentioned several places. I just need rear shocks so I can start my rear end rebuild. Oh yeah and get my broken ring finger to heal!

Re:My Winter Build Journal 15 years, 3 months ago #3228

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
I thought I would have to shorten them since right after i installed the bushings everything felt really tight. I wasnt really able to move the suspension up and down by hand even without the shock or TB on. However, once I put the car on the ground,jumped on the back and drove around everything settled and works great!So no, i didnt have to shorten anything, keep in mind im using the poly bushings and not the delrin though with how great the rear suspension feels I dont see why you would need the delrin...

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:My Winter Build Journal 15 years, 3 months ago #3232

I installed the black poly bushings years ago. 2002 I think... Anyway never any binding although after a year or so they started to squeak pretty badly. The still do, but you never notice at race speeds.

Bleed the brakes once a year.. Ha I do it each day. I just can't stand soft pedal.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 15 years, 3 months ago by joepaluch.

Re:My Winter Build Journal 15 years, 1 month ago #3770

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
Its about time for an update.

Alot has happened since the last post.
My car gave me some heartache after a short test run around the block. After hearing what I thought was rod knock (clatter that increased on deceleration as well as knock that resonated through the exhaust) as well as a massive oil leak coming from somewhere in the rear of the engine, I decided to break down and do a "small" engine rebuild.
Chuck graciously offered to let me take my car over to his garage and use his space and engine hoist.

Time and money are limited during these times so I've had to make the most of my visits and carefully choose what to replace.

Day one
Chuck, Dave Wright, Weston and I go over to clean Chucks garage. We all owe him a lifetime of favors so it was the least we could do for prior and future messes we will make there.

Day two
I prep the engine to be removed. Check, double check, and triple check every nook and cranny and make sure everything is disconnected and removed, oh boy! And the mandatory, spill water everywhere, then roll around in it while you remove things under the engine.
crappy picture

Day three
Weston helps me pull out the engine.
This part wasn't so bad, we just had to drop the subframe to allow the oil pan clearance.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5813505&id=570465544

We were able to get the oil pan off that night to take a peek at the damage.
What seems to be a common problem on these cars, my oil pickup tube was badly cracked near where it attaches to the crank girdle.

The crank also had some interesting discoloration that must have occurred from when I overheated the fricken heck out of it at PPIR

Upon inspection of the rod bearings they weren't so bad. The rod bearings definitely had wear but I've seen worse. Only the rear of the #2 bearing had terrible wear on the upper portion where a small groove had formed. still bad, Ill have to see what the machine shop thinks can be done to the crank.

HPDE 3 Group Leader
Last Edit: 15 years, 1 month ago by Chris.

Re:My Winter Build Journal 15 years, 1 month ago #3772

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
Throughout my build I have been in contact with Dave Dirks, most of you know that he is a fellow RM 944spec racer. Dirks has won the series championship both in 2007 and 2008 and he also builds many of the 944 spec engines here. www.geocities.com/dmdirks/944motorwerks.html
Dirks has been extremely helpful throughout my chaotic engine process with advice and walkthroughs. Ive been picking his brain/ harassing him nearly every day.

Day 4
With the help of Weston again, Dave Wright and Chuck I starting disassembling the engine, prepping the block to be hot tanked. Dirks was able to walk me through the night before on what to remove, what not to do and how to do it. Trying to stay organized during all of this can be dizzying...

In surprisingly little time, not counting the numerous distractions and beer breaks, we were able to strip the block bare.

The main bearings weren't in as bad of shape as I expected. They still definitely required replacing but not bad. This was a relief as I found out through Dirks that there are no oversized main bearings.

Another blessing came when we removed the pistons and examined the cylinder walls, they were in great shape, no signs of scoring or wear! another bullet dodged!

Not much left I can do till parts come in and I visit the machine shop. I just hope I can remember how to put everything back together...

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:My Winter Build Journal 15 years, 1 month ago #3788

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
Good luck Chris. Are you going to have your crank drilled? Oil pan baffle?
With all of the upgrades, new hot shoe drivers and your engine work the RM region ought to have a very competative 944 class!
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds