Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Torsion bars procedure with hole saw
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Torsion bars procedure with hole saw

Re:Need advice: Torsion bars procedure with hole saw 14 years, 3 months ago #6660

• rlofgren
  • Seasoned Racer
i have always kinda wondered, what's to stop the bar from coming out by itself during normal use?
944-SPEC #30 Norcal 2010 Champion
944-SPEC #23 non sunroof
1990 944 S2 street
2003 Mini Cooper S
Lofgren Construction
leafbranch.com/
Last Edit: 14 years, 3 months ago by rlofgren.

Re:Torsion bars procedure with hole saw 14 years, 3 months ago #6661

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
I'd have to guess the weight of the car keeping tension on the splines keeps them in place. It takes about 50lb of pull to remove the unloaded bars, so loaded would be pretty solid. I'm fabricating a cap anyway, just in case and to keep dust out.

I decided to drop back 10 yards and punt on this one.
I'm going to remove the whole rear assembly this weekend.
I'll then have tried all three methods of t-bar swapping!
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:Need advice: Torsion bars procedure with hole saw 14 years, 3 months ago #6664

rlofgren wrote:
i have always kinda wondered, what's to stop the bar from coming out by itself during normal use?

Friction I guess. But stock has a cover so they can't come out.

I would still put some sort of locking feature on the end. The reason is despite the load the constant movment could cause them to "walk" and pop out. Not good when racing.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Torsion bars procedure with hole saw 14 years, 3 months ago #6666

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
Ok, this thread can finally die!
It's 1 AM, I just finished cleaning up after getting my tor... bars done (I have decided never to speak that word again)

what a nightmare. I ended up pretty much dissasembelling the entire rear suspension, using Joe's measurement location and then putting a square on the spring arm and measuring to the top of the banana arm for an exact reference.

Thanks for all the input, maybe next time I'll listen and accept help when it's offered!
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:Torsion bars procedure with hole saw 14 years, 3 months ago #6668

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Got to say - done 3 of these now and it definatly is my least favorite job on the 944's. Probably if I have another to do I'll pay for someone else to take the pain !
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds