Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years ago #10544

Powerful story, Joe!

I will be extra careful to not get on the track without my Balaclava!

I'll keep Tage in my prayers - what a tough road!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years ago #10545

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Tough break. I wish him well!!
I want to get one of those alnog with a full face helmet. I wonder in that situation if a cool helmet would have been benificial too?

I feel like like a chicken with it's head cut off. It's a mad dash to the finish.......
Yesterday I took the car in to one of my sponsors. It's muffler time. They installed the stock system, then cut out the cat and muffler. Installed a straight pipe for the cat and a straight through Cherry Bomb type muffler. It was also the first time I got to "drive" the car. The shop is out of town so I was able to go through the gears. No buzz, no "RICE" sound. Nice and mellow! GOOD JOB GUYS!!!

PIC_0265.JPG

PIC_0251.JPG

PIC_0275.JPG

We kept the black chrome factory tip too! SEXY!!

PIC_0269.JPG

I installed the right side and window nets

PIC_0278.JPG

I couldn't;t make the Aero Catch hood latch work on the back so I just copied Eric's latch with a little different twist. I didn't use a bracket to attach mine, I just drilled into he rear wing. There is sheet metal under the rubber. I also used some cork squares so the hatch wouldn't be rubbing directly on the metal.

PIC_0300.JPG

PIC_0307.JPG

PIC_0317.JPG

Muffler, cat removal and install.....$0.00 It's about time I didn't have to pay for something.
Rear tie downs for hatch.....$12.64
Total in car so far.....$8791.72
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 12 years, 12 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years ago #10548

Looks good. You're one step ahead of me on the exhaust. I just hooked up a staight pipe with a downturn at the end that dumps out just behind the torsion bar tube. Light and efficient, but loud. I've forgotton how loud these cars can be. Good thing I've got the earplugs for the radio.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years ago #10576

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
WOW, the last 5 days were such a rush to get the car completed or should I say, get the car track ready since it's still not completely finished. I crawled into bed at 4 am Friday morning only to wake up at 7am for comp school. I arrived a little late and proceeded to get the car off the trailer.

PIC_0361.JPG

PIC_0359.JPG

PIC_0364.JPG

I should have stayed in bed!! Some kid at comp school thought he was Michael Schumacher or something cause on our very first practice start, in the first turn, pouring rain, he locked his brakes up, skidded into me and punted me just off the track into the grass!!!!! He pushed in the quarter panel, just behind the passenger door right into the tire. If I could have gotten out of the car, I would have killed him!!!!!!! The motor was still running and I was facing the wrong way just off the track. With other cars going off track, running behind me in the grass, what a mess! I saw other cars had spun off further down track as I limped slowly into the pits with the quarter rubbing the tire.

By the time I got off the track I had calmed down quite a bit but was still angry. I had words with him when he came off track and was quite harsh with him. He was very timid and apologetic.

PIC_0370.JPG

PIC_0371.JPG

I talked to my peers Friday after school was finished. Did a lot of venting too.

On Saturday, Nick from Bennington's pulled some of the dent out. At least the tire was no longer rubbing and was OK. Just a little grove, nothing major. Thank God, cause I had just put new tires on the car and had no spare! I was able to qualify and run my first race!!!!!! In the rain and without incidence too!!!

Sunday after our race meeting I had a few more words with this young man who had punted me. I apologized for being so rough on him. I told him it was OK, the quarter panel was pulled away from the tire and the tire was OK. I told him not to worry, we were all good and shook his hand.
Sunday's race was the same. I qualified and raced, but in the dry this time.

My 4 goals for the weekend were met.
1 Have the car ready for comp school/racing.
2 Pass Comp school.
3 Finish the race.
4 Not come in last place.

Sunday night I did some reflecting.........
Someone told me I'd cry when the car got it's first hit. No, I didn't cry but I did get angry and very upset. I didn't buy someone elses car and then have to fix it or set it up the way I like it. Not that there's anything wrong with buying a car already done. I built a car the way I wanted it. I ended up with a very nice car, a high quality build that I'm proud of. Maybe it's too nice. I know first hand that shit happens out on the track. Your fault, his fault, nobodies fault? And no, I don't condone body contact, ANY! Friday I forgot why I built this car. Sunday night I remembered.....I built it to be raced!!! And race it I will. Check your rear view boys, cause here I come!!

By the way if your wondering.......
Sat race 5th place out of 8
Sun race 6th place out of 8

Last Edit: 13 years ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years ago #10577

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I installed an hour meter/tach under hood to keep track of the time I have on the motor and other parts. I also spent a few minutes pushing out the dent some more.

PIC_0424.JPG

PIC_0402.JPG

I had the hour meter/tach just lying around so no cost there.

Last Edit: 12 years, 12 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years ago #10580

The rear end is too low. It is causing you understeer and you are vert close to bottoming the rear suspension in any bumps.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds