TOPIC: season points for 2008 and race drops

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 1 month ago #260

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
GaryM05 wrote:
944cer wrote:
Chuck,
Thanks for asking about this stuff and not telling us how it will be.

+1. Chuck - Thanks for asking for input on these things. That makes it feel like more of a group effort that we all have ownership in (whether that's a good thing or a bad thing remains to be seen.)

I agree. Chuck has always been good about not only coming up with new ideas, but also listening to what the group wants (even though we can be stubborn and hard to please sometimes ).
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video
Last Edit: 16 years, 1 month ago by Weston.

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 1 month ago #263

• Snymo
  • Drivers Ed
To be clear, Chuck called me to ask if I would mind if points stayed with the car and not the driver. I told him that I thought points should stay with the driver, but he seemed to have some master plan that I couldn't understand and told him I really didn't care one way or the other. Besides, I'm not planning on racing this year so my vote is kinda void anyway...however, I do have two guys driving for my "team" to worry about and I will go with whatever they vote for.

If I do decide to race one or two times, I don't think I should earn points. SCCA handles this by allowing anyone to race in the regional races, but they have a Regional Points Championship that you must specifically sign up for. If you place 2nd in a race and get a trophy, but didn't sign up for the Regaional Championship, you don't get points and are in effect skipped over when assigning the points for the race. Make sense? I told Chuck about this, but I can't remember what he thought about it.

Now, what does my "team" mean? In a word, nothing. It's more just for fun then anything else, but in reality I'm helping two of my friends with their car builds and with some coaching and advice throughout the year. In return they are running Snyder Motorsports decals on their cars. That's it and is not like the NASA Team designation with multiple drivers at all.

Do I think there should be a Team Championship? Not really. Any alliances or teams that decide to run this year are more for fun then anything else and I don't want to see teams trying to dictate the results of a race in anyway. It should be driver vs driver and the best one wins. If you want to run as a team that's great, but it stops from green flag to checkers and we all race each other the exact same way.

Again, just my personal opinion on things...

Rick
Rick Snyder
Snyder Motorsports
944 Spec: #10-Miller, #43-Burt

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 1 month ago #267

ok so far I have

#1 Drivers championship with 4 drops . You can drop any 4 races that you want (even DQ's ?).

#2 Teams . In NASCAR there are car owner points . I was thinking we do something like that. It's all for fun no money or extra tires.

it really does not matter much to me if it does not make us money. i will be in the #67 and Kasim will be in the #24 till Miller i think.

we need hood and roof sponsors ...

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 1 month ago #283

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
SvoChuck wrote:
#2 Teams . In NASCAR there are car owner points . I was thinking we do something like that. It's all for fun no money or extra tires.

I was thinking it was more like Formula 1 teams, but it's pretty much the same thing... just like wine & cheese vs Bud Light & hot dogs.

944 Pics & Video

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 1 month ago #291

Weston wrote:If we have 14 points races in a season and 4 drops, then it's your best 10 that get counted towards the season championship. Any races you miss are counted as zeros and would automatically be dropped, unless you miss more than 4 races. I was going to point to our 2007 season results as an example, but apparently that's gone missing (the link just goes to the individual race results now).

Weston,
I fixed the 944 spec website to show the 07 Rocky Mountian Points.

http://944spec.org/Results-Points/RMRStandings2007.htm

For 2007 You had 4 drops of 12 races. Sounds like you will have 4 drops with 10 races this year. I have been keeping track of points for all the regions for a couple years and have a spreadsheet to make scoring pretty easy. I can have as many drops as you would like. I will ask Chuck to make sure you let me know who are "teams" as defined in the NASA team rules and I can score them that way.

As for DQ's... Well my formula drops them I believe, but I would think DQ's should NOT be dropped. I can fix it to ensure DQs are retained.

Also there is one more thing. Points scoring.

NASA uses the following System.
100,90,85,80,75,70 and 7th and higher subtract one point per spot

2007 Rocky Mtn points were as follows
100,90,80,70,60,50 and 50 for all remaining positions

In Arizona 2007 we used the following
100, 90,85,80,75 (a 5 point drop off per spot minimum of 10 points)

In Az in 2008 we are using the following
100, 90, 85
10 Point spread to 2nd Place
5 Point spread from 2nd to 3rd and down to 10th place
3 Point spread from 10th to 11th and down 15th place
2 Point spread from 15th to 16th and down to 20th place
25 Points minimum for all finishers 21st place and higher

The system seems a little complex, but helps spread the points and point gaps down lower in the groups. This makes fighting for 8th place more alot valuable than 11th. In the NASA system 8th = 68 and 11th = 65 so 3 spots get you only 3 more points. In the 08 Az system 8th = 60 pts and 11th = 47pts. Now that is pretty clearly something worth fighting for as there is a gap between 8th and 11th, but you still get very usefull points for 11th. When you start having 10-15 cars in class I think a points system that rewards the finishing order at these lower positions is good to allow the lower pack guys to have season long battles with other guys. You may not earn Toyo bucks for being 5th or 6th overall in season points, but it can still be fun to compete 2-3 guys all season long and watch the point ebb and flow during the course of a season.

Just let me know what you guys want for 08 and I can make it happen.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 16 years, 1 month ago by joepaluch.

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 1 month ago #295

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Thanks, Joe! Being that we're going to have around 20 cars this season, I think we'll need to change how we've been counting points, since giving the minimum 50 points to 15 cars doesn't really work. I like the new AZ system, but would also support the simpler deduction of 5 points per position, with something like 10 or 25 minimum points guaranteed to anyone who actually races that day.

As for the DQ's being eligible for drops, I would agree that DQ's should not be dropped (ie the driver would be penalized in season points), if it's a case of a blatant rules violation, in either the car's build or the driver's actions. If someone has something on their car that may not be 100% legal, or is in a grey area, just talk to Chuck about it before racing and I'm sure there will be a reasonable solution.

944 Pics & Video
Moderators: SvoChuck, dmdirks
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds