Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16969

I only had to purchase two parts.
1)The first was a brake scoop for the fog light.($16)
www.paragon-products.com/Brake-Cooling-D...p/bd-944v2.5-3.0.htm

2) Air Intake Hose Kit (Advanced Auto $13). It is just a PVC flex hose that I cut to length.

I had to cut it to fit and to also line up with the hole I cut in the headlight bucket. To hold it in place once I cut it down. I cut two pieces of thin aluminum then used sheet metal screws to go through to the bumper. In all it took me about an hour to fit and mount every thing. I cut the air box and the air intake kit slides right over it. I like it because it looks stock and keeps crap out of the stock air box.
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #16971

Thanks! Good looking installations.

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #17020

OK guys, after a lot of discussion behind the scenes, we have decided to disallow cutting holes in the unibody for ram air. It was felt better to ask a few people to revise their setups, and have to reroute a hose, versus having a bunch feel they need to cut more holes to feel more competitive. It is still OK to remove the Ken bracket referred to earlier in the thread, and those who have cut a hole in the unibody can reroute through that. They will need to repair that hole with some metal of similar gauge to OEM.

We will also limit ram air to the turn signal or foglight only. While I think everyone is currently using one of those two, we want to be ahead of other creativity in this area.

Holes cut for oil coolers will still be allowed, though discouraged. They must be kept to the minimum needed to accomplish the ducting for cooling, and not compromise structure.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #17022

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Thanks for a very prompt response to the can of worms that opened. I really appreciate having a good idea of All the rules coming up during the build season instead of having to wait until racing season in CA is nearly upon us.

I do think this is a reasonable response to the problem
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #17023

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I can only say that I am disappointed with such thinking from our Series Directors.

It is OK to cut the right headlight bucket to get oil coolers working but somehow not OK to cut a much smaller hole in the left side bucket to get to the bumper hole but OK to remove an entire piece of metal to make it easy to get to the fog light bucket that does not even exist on a 924???

And you require fixing holes that have been cut into the headlight bucket on cars that did so?????? For what reason? There are no structural issues here at all.

I really do not see how this makes any sense for the class. You have made 924's unable to get effective ram air with this decision. The notion that it can be done, effectively, through the fender opening with all of the bends required is silly. Yes, it is possible to route it that way but it will have no positive affect. 944's can go to the valence bucket that provides, perhaps, more positive pressure than the bumper opening but 924's are not given any way to effectively fabricate a similar system since they do not have a valence fog light bucket.

Face it. Someone made a decision years ago to allow ram air systems and now you folks are trying to retract parts of that, after the fact. In my opinion, the original decision, right or wrong, set the pattern for the class and this only serves to help some at the expense of others for what valid reason?

Inconsistent rules serve to drive marginal racers away to other classes or cause them to drift away to do other things and this is an inconsistent rule, in my opinion.

Jim Foxx
Jim Foxx

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 5 months ago #17024

This was a passionate issue on both sides. A flood of email and calls were received about this. Both sides feel that their choice will result in more participation. We understood that we would not make everyone happy no matter which way we went. In the end, this is a Spec series, and many options leads to many problems, so we chose to reign things in.

In the end, those affected will have to do a do a one time fix of moving a hose, and patching a hole, just as we would expect any large hole in the unibody to be fixed. A small piece of aluminum and a few rivets should take a few minutes.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds