Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 4 months ago #17025

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Now that we have a decision, can we get some pictures showing right and wrong? I havent been very involved with this discussion and actually have no preference to either side but want to make sure my setup is either good to go or needs to be modified before the start of next season.

As a side note, my setup involves a larger than stock hose from the air box to a hole in the sheetmetal that leads to the void behind the turn signal which is not installed. Is it legal? I always assumed that hole was stock.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 4 months ago #17026

The downside to fog lamp area is that if bump drafting it lines up with the front car's muffler. While I do not agree with decision, I will make the change as required.

I know people complain about those who maximize to the rule set and I get the feeling that some define 944 spec as a 944 off the street with a roll cage that they can use for their daily commute. That is TT.

We can all appreciate Eric's efforts in balancing the different definitions of 944 spec racing. From the "drive off the lot and race" guys to those of us who spend a whole weekend sanding the torque tube so the delrins move freely. There will always be those of us who put in more wrench time than others. My efforts are not to find that little tweak for 1/8HP but I just take pride in my car and enjoy working on it. I am okay as long as we do not start undoing more rules going forward.
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports
Last Edit: 10 years, 4 months ago by FastTater.

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 4 months ago #17027

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
AgRacer wrote:
Now that we have a decision, can we get some pictures showing right and wrong? I havent been very involved with this discussion and actually have no preference to either side but want to make sure my setup is either good to go or needs to be modified before the start of next season.

As a side note, my setup involves a larger than stock hose from the air box to a hole in the sheetmetal that leads to the void behind the turn signal which is not installed. Is it legal? I always assumed that hole was stock.

These pictures are taken on the drivers side looking toward the front of the car. There is a silver cylinder object which is the AC dryer. Under it there is a bracket, under the bracket are the horns. This bracket may be removed.
With bracket.....

kenbracket1.jpg

Without bracket....

kenbracket.jpg

The back of the headlight bucket, circled in yellow, MAY NOT BE CUT.

headlightbucket.jpg
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 10 years, 4 months ago by RacerX.

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 4 months ago #17029

Tater, watch this video for some exhaust sucking (it's short): https://vimeo.com/23853764

Thanks for your understanding on this. I understand these mods were made in good faith by all involved, but as Jerry mentioned it has become a can of worms. It either had to go away, or get regulated.

Ken (Racer X) has it figured out - thanks for doing the legwork on the pictures! Tater's series of pictures earlier in this thread is (now) a good example of what will no longer be legal in 2014.

No problem with uning the existing OEM intake hole, or routing it through the "Ken bracket"
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 4 months ago #17030

• phlip
  • Comp School
These kinds of changes, along with others I won't go into, is why I dont race in this series anymore.
--------------
Phil --------
NASA TX
944 SPEC #030

Re: Ram Air Rule Clarification Issue 10 years, 4 months ago #17031

Always happy to show people how not to do things.

Of course the SE guys would say that the things I do while driving is a better example of what not do versus what I do to my car.
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds