Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Requests for 2016
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20262

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
Regarding the wheels proposal I see no need to require the wheels to be the same weight as the old lighter should be allowed. What would be the cost change if the wheel went from a 7" to a 9". Lighter and wider could be a very low cost way to improved performance of our cars when compared to the spec class of E30 and Miata.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20264

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
So what you're saying Tom is any wheel goes as long as it's 9" wide? Do you know how much light wheels cost? You will very easily pay more for wheels than the car is worth! That would make my car uncompetitive and price me out and I'm sure I'm not alone.

At the 2014 nationals there were a bunch of guys hanging around my trailer that I didn't know and when I went to talk to them, it turns out they were Toyo reps and engineers and were looking at my spare tires. They asked a lot of questions about the tire and took some measurements and told me a few things. One of them was the tire was designed with our cars in mind, including wheel width so I don't think switching wheel width would be better.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20266

• wera44
  • Junior Racer
Quick question. I noticed in another thread where RD wanted to allow headers but some were against it becasue it made power. My question is if there is a HP cap in the class what would it matter as long as you were not over it how your power is made? Mine are fine and I have access to a back up so it does'nt matter to me its just a question.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20268

• BritRacer
  • Seasoned Racer
I recently found during my rebuild that one of the issue with my car is that the 2/3 header had a crack in it. Not able to find any spares locally I was forced to have it welded at a cost of $100. The welder even said they are just going to crack again at some point because of the way they are constructed and these were the "better" '88 year.

He did say that he would be able to make some stronger factory style headers, if people are interested and they were allowed in the rules.
Jason Jane
Norcal

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20269

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
wera44 wrote:
Quick question. I noticed in another thread where RD wanted to allow headers but some were against it becasue it made power. My question is if there is a HP cap in the class what would it matter as long as you were not over it how your power is made? Mine are fine and I have access to a back up so it does'nt matter to me its just a question.

The factory headers are pretty good right out of the box. Though they are getting harder to come by they are still available used and have proven to be pretty trouble free. There was a time when chips and headers were allowed. To bring the class back to Spec they were outlawed.

Jason there used to be a guy named Shawn up in your area that had parts and engines.
I checked and I dont have his contact info but his email started with commdiver@
One of they guys in your group up there may have his contact info.

I am opposed to opening up headers at this time as well as opposed to a wider wheel. Our cars would be faster with the 9" wheel but then everyone would have to have them to compete.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion
The following user(s) said Thank You: BritRacer

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 4 months ago #20270

• BritRacer
  • Seasoned Racer
Thanks for the info Charlie.

I agree, with the tires and am not fighting for the headers. Just wanted to note that good used headers are not always readily available and having looked new OEM headers are now a lot more expensive then something like the MSDS headers.

I will continue to my eye out for parts and pick up pieces as and when I can.
Jason Jane
Norcal
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds