Rule Change Requests for 2016
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19831

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Sterling Doc wrote:
CMC rim fiasco?

There was a minor melt down after the 2013 Championship event because a racer bought a set of wheels that weren't the correct offset and also under the minimum weight but then welded a set of spacers to the wheel to make it the exact perfect offset and make the minimum weight. These were deemed to be legal based on a off hand remark made about a proposed rule change the previous off season on the CMC forum by the National Director. There were more grumblings about unsprung weight and rotational mass that amounted to a lot of speculation about does and doesnt result in a performance advantage. They have many different cars with different offsets and track widths running under the same rule set which is also why there is the need for a fairly open wheel allowance.

My proposed rule eliminates much of this potential frustration by mandating a one piece wheel in the OEM offset and very nearly matching the OEM wheel weight. A consideration after reading that CMC wheel fiasco would be to make sure everyone understands wheel spacers ARE NOT included in the overall weight of the wheel as well as no further modifications to the wheel can be made as it came from the manufacturer which modify weight or construction.

If you care to read the CMC wheel drama:
www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4469
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by AgRacer.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19832

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
capt squid wrote:
Allow welding of bumper shocks

It is becoming difficult to find good bumper shocks for a reasonable price and it is a minor PITA to change them. Allowing welding would solve this.

I have also collapsed more than a few bumper shocks this season and some on very minor bumps. Although I dont think anything says you cant run on completely collapsed shocks! I hear the flush mount is all the rage in the 944 tuner scene.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19833

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
One could take any wheel and weld a spacer to it. Custom spacers don't
cost that much. Earlier this year I purchased a set of cookie cutters
for $75 a piece off of ebay.

If we add another wheel, we need to specify which one, brand name and
2 part numbers. One number for late and one for early offset. And they
shouldn't weight less than the cookie cutters.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19835

Thanks for the back story. It's always good to know how people might attempt to manipulate a rule. For the record, being "clever" is frowned upon in 944 Spec. Great for ST, but not in a class who stated intent is to make the cars equal, and let the driving talk.

I am not talking about the proposed wheel rule, but those who look to exploit the rules in any manner outside of the spirit of the rules. Too early for me to comment on the merits of this proposal, but the request itself very well laid out.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19842

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I believe a few typo's need to be changed.

12.5 Heads
12.5.1 Cylinder heads may be shaved to limits listed in 11.5.2 and 11.5.3 to achieve the maximum

I believe the 11 should be changed to 12

AND

13.3 Ignition System
Any spark plugs and spark plug wires may be used. Offset woodruff keys are not allowed
between camshaft and camshaft gear.
The second sentence should be removed because on some cars we can use a key as addressed in 12.5.5
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by RacerX.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 6 months ago #19867

Good catches, Ken.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds