2017 Rules Proposal Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21323

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
KJZ78701 wrote:
Jason

Please edit your post. It's a little misleading.

We only care about the 15x7 wheels.

The 23mm offset CC is listed at 6.9Kg or 15#2.9 oz
The 23mm offset PD is listed at 7.4Kg or 16#4.5 oz
The 52mm offset PD is listed at 7.0Kg or 15#6.4 oz

Here are my four 15x7 CCs again (free of lead weights, thanks USPS)

14# 14.0 oz
14# 14.0 oz
14# 14.6 oz
15# 5.2 oz

I looked at the wrong lines. I didn't know how accurate the info would be since there are too many variables to nail down a consistent weight reference for all wheels.

At widest variation, you have a .5 pound swing from lightest to heaviest. If the late offset phone dial also has a .5 pound swing, some of those wheels could be as much as 16 pounds, over a pound more than the cookie.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
The topic has been locked.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21326

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Did some weighing of wheels tonight. It was only with a digital bathroom scale with me holding them, so not the most accurate but enough to get a feeling. I re-base lined my own weight after taking a pee in the back yard due to too many Moscow Mules. I hope that doesn't muddy my purely scientific results.

My one set of late offset phone dials in 15x7 came in between 17.2-17.6 pounds. They are mid 87 castings and have been repainted once before I just painted them with some black rattle can.

The one set of early offset cookies I have unmounted came in between 15.2-15.6 pounds. These are just about perfect "barn find" quality I found on ebay with a perfect finish and very little abuse.

Even if my scale if off, I was hoping for a closer margin. Even just by feel I could tell the phonies weighed more.
J. Stanley
Yellow #60

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21327

• KJZ78701
  • Comp School
I've always liked numbers, so I thought I would share the "like". If numbers are not your thing, it's good "put you to sleep" reading.

Capture.PNG

Assuming I did the math right (a math minor was a gift that came with the requirements for the engineering degree) and keep in mind these are NOT engine torque. What is important to note it the delta between the two sets of data. The first two lines represent the torque required to accelerate wheels that are half a pound different. The next two lines represent the torque required to accelerate a 225/50 R15 and a 205/50 R15 Toyo RR. I had to assume the 225 was 22 pounds and the 205 was 2.2 pounds less. Anyway, you see the differences.

NOTES: I assumed 12 seconds to go from 60 and 100 MPH
Last Edit: 7 years, 5 months ago by KJZ78701.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21328

AgRacer wrote:
Did some weighing of wheels tonight. It was only with a digital bathroom scale with me holding them, so not the most accurate but enough to get a feeling. I re-base lined my own weight after taking a pee in the back yard due to too many Moscow Mules. I hope that doesn't muddy my purely scientific results.

My one set of late offset phone dials in 15x7 came in between 17.2-17.6 pounds. They are mid 87 castings and have been repainted once before I just painted them with some black rattle can.

The one set of early offset cookies I have unmounted came in between 15.2-15.6 pounds. These are just about perfect "barn find" quality I found on ebay with a perfect finish and very little abuse.

Even if my scale if off, I was hoping for a closer margin. Even just by feel I could tell the phonies weighed more.

Hmmm, looks like I will need to find a set of cookie cutters, especially if they will give me a second per lap advantage There are cookie cutters that fit early offset cars, correct?
Kyle Kimball

Orange 1984 944 #444

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21329

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
kimballkc wrote:
Hmmm, looks like I will need to find a set of cookie cutters, especially if they will give me a second per lap advantage There are cookie cutters that fit early offset cars, correct?

Go back to my link with wheel weights, then find the heaviest wheel on the chart. That's the one you get to run next season!
J. Stanley
Yellow #60

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21330

AgRacer wrote:
kimballkc wrote:

Go back to my link with wheel weights, then find the heaviest wheel on the chart. That's the one you get to run next season!

Can I get a rule exception to roll dubz on my car?
Kyle Kimball

Orange 1984 944 #444
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds