Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2019 Rules Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2019 Rules Thread

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22134

• tcomeau
Joey,
Right now, everyone is even with the rear torsion bar set up. Do it once and forget it. No extra money needed here, so I wouldn't support a rule change. It's like rear hatches. Yes, they're heavier than lexan, but right now, everybody already has one...and every 944 comes with one mounted. No $ needed. This is also part of the 944 look.

I saw the $800 phonies on LA craigslist. That guy's smokin' crack! LOL! I sell sets of good 7 x 15 phonies in either offset for $300-$350. I've been getting around $400 for nice straight cookies. The VW guys are sucking up some of the ABS offset 7's and 6's for use on the VW busses.

Dale, I'm not so hot on a new wheel. Our factory wheels are very high quality and I haven't seen ONE cracked. Bent, yes, but they can be straightened. I feel we have plenty right now and our wheels are a part of the 944 look. I wouldn't want to spend money here either.

Dan, we'd have to word the camber plate rule carefully because you can offset the shock rod hole for max caster, THEN make it only camber adjustable. Maybe do a Series Director's survey of what guys have already? I think most have ground control or racer's edge?
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22135

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
I agree with this KBD Bumper- this should be an easy one.

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22136

• Lowco17
  • Drivers Ed
My two cents.
Why not allow sleeving with cast iron sleeves. No change in pistons is required just different rings, which are available from Lindsey Racing at a similar cost to regular rings.
No need to change wheels.

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22137

• Robbie
  • Junior Racer
  • The dread pirate
Ground Control camber plates adjust caster as well. I would hate to see them made illegal.

The blocks don't need to be resleeved, the Alusil can be replated. The guy who Dave Dirks used for machining when he did motors had the equipment to do this and it would make using blocks for longer, which is nice. Not allowing/developing a spec replacement piston with a 2 or 3 year grace period for people on the current rules is a mistake, IMO. I had a Dirks built motor let go after a season and a half because my piston failed and ruined my motor. Ruined the rest of my season.
1987 924S #5 NASA RM

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22138

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Good to know about the GC caster camber plates.

That explains about Dirks motors. But what about the rest of the country? Is anyone else able have this done locally?
We probably build more 944 Spec cars than any other part of the country out here (Midwest/Great Lakes). We have people that supply us engines that specifically only break down and part 944s. I've been in this series since 2011 and I can tell you it is getting harder and harder to find good core blocks. The last score of engines purchased showed only 1 good block out of 5 complete motors. These are not small items to ship either- like a cam tower or head. We need to be cognizant of whats happening everywhere in the country.
I'm not sure we have to find the solution this year, but it IS becoming a real problem.

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22139

• Robbie
  • Junior Racer
  • The dread pirate
None of Dave’s motors had this process done. Any shop that can rebuild a Vega motor can replace a 944 block. I don’t know how prevalent it is. Unfortunately Dave’s guy has passed on, so he’s no longer available.
dpRacing Dan wrote:
Good to know about the GC caster camber plates.

That explains about Dirks motors. But what about the rest of the country? Is anyone else able have this done locally?
We probably build more 944 Spec cars than any other part of the country out here (Midwest/Great Lakes). We have people that supply us engines that specifically only break down and part 944s. I've been in this series since 2011 and I can tell you it is getting harder and harder to find good core blocks. The last score of engines purchased showed only 1 good block out of 5 complete motors. These are not small items to ship either- like a cam tower or head. We need to be cognizant of whats happening everywhere in the country.
I'm not sure we have to find the solution this year, but it IS becoming a real problem.
1987 924S #5 NASA RM
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds