Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Road Atlanta next weekend
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
944Spec Southeast Region Newsletter Sign Up!

madmimi.com/signups/334153/join

NASA Southeast Website

nasa-se.com/

Region Sponsored by Appalachian Race Tire.

www.racetire.com/

TOPIC: Road Atlanta next weekend

Re: Road Atlanta next weekend 12 years, 9 months ago #11125

NASA-SE raced at Charlotte Motor Speedway this weekend. Had an opportunity to talk to a few 944 drivers. One is going to comp school at NCCAR later this year and he is 944Spec ready. Another is just starting out and in HPDE 2 but could make a run in 944Spec as well. Great times were had by all and the series is gaining traction in the SE. For the record, GTS 1 car count for this event....1.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re: Road Atlanta next weekend 12 years, 9 months ago #11127

That's great! Speaking of comp school, can you provide a flow of how one gets to this point? It seems a bit unclear. I have done a fair number of DEs over the years, with various organizations. Most recently, I am getting back in, will probably do two to three, with a two-day course at Skip Barber as well.

What is necessary to be qualified for comp school?

What is your recommended path to make sure I get what I need to be safe?

Thanks for the info - the car is coming along. The heavy lifting (cage, seats, HANS, belts, wiring, etc.) is planned for the winter.

Re: Road Atlanta next weekend 12 years, 9 months ago #11178

michaelreich wrote:
That's great! Speaking of comp school, can you provide a flow of how one gets to this point? It seems a bit unclear. I have done a fair number of DEs over the years, with various organizations. Most recently, I am getting back in, will probably do two to three, with a two-day course at Skip Barber as well.

What is necessary to be qualified for comp school?

What is your recommended path to make sure I get what I need to be safe?

Basically, you work your way up through the DR ranks, 1,2,3 and then you can request to participate in Comp School. If you have verifiable experience, then present that to Jim Pantas, the SE Region Director and he might give you a waver to a higher DE group. HOWEVER, don't rush it. You have plenty of time to gain the valuable experience you are going to need to be a better faster, and safer racer in the long run.
As far as getting what you need to be safe, seat time, seat time and more seat time.
Safety equipment, get the best you can afford to get, don't skimp. If it means waiting another paycheck to get that fire bottle system vs the fire extinguisher, GET IT. Same for driver apparel, spend the big bucks on your suit, underwear, gloves, shoes etc. and pass on the go fast parts for your car. Cage build, definitely go with a reputable ROAD COURSE builder. Don't rely on someone that is a good welder to build you a race car. I have one in Greenville, SC that specializes in 944's and E30's. Very fair price and top notch build.

Good luck with everything.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
Last Edit: 12 years, 9 months ago by mcmmotorsports.

Re: Road Atlanta next weekend 12 years, 9 months ago #11179

Thanks for the advice.

The name of the cage builder would be great. I won't be building the cage until I take the car down for building this winter, but I am trying to get my plan together.

Thanks
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Road Atlanta next weekend 12 years, 9 months ago #11182

Joel Barber @ Barber Race Works. 864-414-3481.
In fact, he has a complete, race ready 944-Spec race car for sale as well as one that is caged and ready for a drivetrain.
And of course, don't forget to tell him you heard about him from me.
MICHAEL MADUSKE

Re: Road Atlanta next weekend 12 years, 9 months ago #11186

I called Joel. I am going to go see him.

Told him about the tip.

Thanks,
Moderators: AgRacer
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds