Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New here and looking for info/advice
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
944Spec Southeast Region Newsletter Sign Up!

madmimi.com/signups/334153/join

NASA Southeast Website

nasa-se.com/

Region Sponsored by Appalachian Race Tire.

www.racetire.com/

TOPIC: New here and looking for info/advice

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 2 months ago #15082

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
I've seen both of those ads. The green one is outside my budget, I just don't want that much in a car for a couple time a year tracking. Al's seems to have had two interested parties and yet is still available......that bothers me.

Chuck has been the go between on Al's and has email introduced us but I have not heard from Al as of yet.
I've found a real nice DE prep'd 87 in Jersey. Has had a good bit recent maintenance and as a DE only car, I'm thinking hasn't been ravaged like a true racer would have been.

I'm in touch with a guy on the "Cup" site and he has a couple of real nice possibilities, again may be too far outside what I want to spend, but......

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 2 months ago #15083

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
Ok.

Tow vehicle - check
enclosed trailer - check
race suit - (still fitting) - check
Snell 2005 helmet - check
gloves - check
Oh crap, what's the fastest way to get my comp license? I had an SCCA regional and national back in the late 90's early 2000, and had instructed with PCA and others after that..........
experience - check
Guess all I need is a car and a license and I can get this party started!

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 2 months ago #15084

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I raced against Al's car all last year and can vouch for its preparedness. Its a quick car that won a fair share of races last year. It comes with a manual rack as well which if sold can fetch 5-600 on rennlist if you want to keep the power steering. I think the interested parties were just trying to low ball him and that's why it hasn't sold yet. He's selling it for basically what he bought it for so its a good turn around. I think it does need updated safety equipment to be able to pass race tech. It also just got a new paint job after some of the race induced whoopsies were pounded out.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 2 months ago #15085

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
I've seen the updated pics. I don't mean to be snobbish, but I think presentation says a lot. Paint went over damage and I don't think I could live with that. I know these are race cars and get damaged, maybe its a bit of OCD in me, but I like to look good as well as perform well. And that's not meant in an offensive way. My old race car stayed waxed until it met the wall at (<<<<<not that one) turn five at RA years ago.

Chuck has also expressed that Al's is quite the piece of equipment. I guess being thrown into a possible race setup vs a street/DE car has me reassessing things quickly and I don't impulse anything so I'm analyzing my options and these cars that have come to my attention.
Last Edit: 11 years, 2 months ago by 993innc.

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 2 months ago #15086

As someone who is making a debut at CMP with my new car, I say be patient and look around. I am in DE and going for my comp in November. Having hung around the 944 guys for the last year, I can say there are no egos as we tend to share the crap. It is a laid back bunch who make even a bad track day fun.

I was building my car from the ground up, but work has caused it to drag out over a year. So having a good wife who suggested buying so that I could go ahead and race, I began the search. Like you have seen some bangers for sale and also some top of the line which were over my budget.

I found my latest car using Pelicans classified. You can find a starter for DE that would be fun but has the ability with an minimal investment to make the jump to racing.

For 5k, I got a 1986, freshly painted with a body in great shape.
- custom roll cage
- manual rack
- Professional built 88 motor
- M030 front/rear sways
- 27mm torsion
This was ready for DE at purchase. However since racing is my goal, I decided to go ahead and do a full prep of the car before the first event in February.

For about another 5k, it will be competitive 944 spec race car.

There is no other class where you can have a car that can run at the front (driver dependent) for this amount of investment. The other classes tend to lean towards money races.

I say find "your" car and then come hang with a group that really knows what club racing is about.

Fred
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports
Last Edit: 11 years, 2 months ago by FastTater. Reason: Typos

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 2 months ago #15087

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
See that's where I think the money should be Fred. But all I've seen are 7-8k plus. Maybe I don't have a clear enough understanding yet of proper valuations. What I know is that I'm looking for an arrive and drive car, no time for projects.

Nice to see people chiming in on the group being cool, makes a big difference to enjoy those that you run with.

I'm willing to bend a little on price for the right car. Just need to figure out what "right" really means from both a price and condition standpoint.
Moderators: AgRacer
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds