Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop

Re:Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop 13 years, 8 months ago #7821

jaje wrote:
Well after pulling the oil pan - the pickup tube cracked in half. The rod bearings and crank were damaged.

That really stinks, but sadly when these motors lose pressure like that is often due to something bad happening. If you lose pressure on a 944 motor expect it to be bad. If the block can be saved you can rebuild. I got a used crank years ago for $80.

So time for rebuild.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop 13 years, 8 months ago #7823

Sorry to hear that the problem was terminal.

I'd be interested to know if the balance shafts are still on time or if the belt has skipped a few teeth. I've seen cracked oil pickups and fuel rails due to the balance shafts being out of time.

Re:Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop 13 years, 8 months ago #7824

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
Timing was good on the engine. The oil pickup tube cracked due to old age. Car was an '83 and I never had it changed.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop 13 years, 8 months ago #7827

944Racer72 wrote:
Sorry to hear that the problem was terminal.

I'd be interested to know if the balance shafts are still on time or if the belt has skipped a few teeth. I've seen cracked oil pickups and fuel rails due to the balance shafts being out of time.

Yes pick-up tubes and fuel rails will crack due to balance shaft timing. One major failure points is putting balance shaft gear on 180 degress out of position. That will allow you put the marks on time, but have actual shaft out of time. This causes pick-up tubes to crack. I holed a motor due to this.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds