Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

May- Big Spec race at PIR
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: May- Big Spec race at PIR

Re:May- Big Spec race at PIR 14 years ago #7178

• Big Dog
  • Banned
If 944 is the core of the event, how about us getting the first green flag in our group instead of us taking the last flag?

NASA needs to find an announcer for the race, too.

Another suggestion, lets have a qualifying race, rather than a qualifying session. We did that at Fontana and it was GREAT. Use practice times for setting the grid for the qual. race and use the qual. race for the main race. Of course, any other group that is running with us will need to do the same thing but, if we are the core, GO FOR IT, JOE! It is a little more trouble for NASA but they have the staff there to do it for the race so just do it once more for the qual. race.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:May- Big Spec race at PIR 14 years ago #7185

One idea could be the following.

Saturday.

Practice
Normal Qual session
Race (Std points & toyo bucks)

Sunday
Practice
Qual race with Inverted start (top 10) based on Saturday Race finish (No Points)
Race based on Sunday Qual Race finish. (Std Points & Toyo)

This way we can get an inverted start race. The top 10 should be able to handle it well. By using the Sat race order there will no sand bagging, but the driver will know and not be surprised. Also since it is a qualfying race it won't foul up the points that much since all it does is set the grid for Sunday's race.

I kind of think the extra qual session would be good since we will have number of guys who have not driven at PIR in while and they may like the extra session.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 14 years ago by joepaluch.

Re:May- Big Spec race at PIR 14 years ago #7190

If we are going to put on a show, then let's put it on for at least an Hour Final.

Re:May- Big Spec race at PIR 14 years ago #7193

Motul 47x wrote:
If we are going to put on a show, then let's put it on for at least an Hour Final.

This probably won't happen.

Here is why... First reason is time in the day. Tage plans the daily schedule with a set number of groups assuming a certain track time per group. Hour long races chnage the balance of that time. If you can combine all the race cars in one group it is easier to have 1 60 minute combined group vs 2 30 min races.

For May Tage had pledged a deciated run group to 944spec with Spec Miata & RX-7. So this means there probably won't be the time for a long spec race.

The other thing is most of the "action" occurs early in the race. After 15-20 mintues most of the field gets strung out. This means most guys are just lapping by then. Sure you still may get a 1 or 2 pairs fighing, but most are running in open space.

So I would expect to see something closer to two shorter races. This menas two starts and more time running close. I have been talking with Tage and Jeff/Paul about running a qualfing race on sunday. We may get a combined 1 hour of racing on sunday, but that would be in two races. However the details will need to be determined by the 944 car count and other slower "spec type" cars that are also in our group.
Joe Paluch

Re:May- Big Spec race at PIR 14 years ago #7204

Update from Tage

NASA Drivers!

There's less than 2 weeks before registration closes for our May event at PIR. This will be the last time we run at PIR until next October! Don't miss out on the last event before the summer heat kicks into high gear.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1089

The "early bird" registration ends this Sunday evening (@ ~9PM). Next week will start "normal" pricing and the week of the event pricing goes up, so do not delay and get stuck with a higher price (or worse yet, realize that your group is sold out!).

This event is very close to the famous "Cindo de Mayo" so we find it only appropriate that we help celebrate this Mexican Fiesta NASA BBQ style with some authentic Mexican food and plenty of Mexican beer as well as the usual variety to suit even the snobbiest of beer connoisseurs! We'll even have a pinata for the little (and big) kids to wack a few times.

We need to see the registration trends before a schedule can be posted for the HPDE groups, but what we can guarantee is all HPDE groups will get four 20 minute sessions. TT will get four sessions (all 4 split on Sat and all but the last split on Sun as long as there are 30+ registrations). Race group will have a guaranteed split race with all of the Big Bore and most of the faster PT cars in Group 1. Group 2 will be another huge Spec Race. Last year we did a "944 Spec" race which was cleverly named the "944 Spectacle". This year we will be expanding the race classes to all of the popular Arizona "Spec classes".
944 Spec (NASA)
Spec 944 (SCCA's version)
Spec Miata
Spec RX7 & Pro7
Spec Boxter
The voice of many spec racers has been heard and we will guarantee you that you will not be combined with the "Big Bore" cars (even if the numbers do not justify it). The spec racers may also benefit from an additional race as the proposal at this time is to have TWO races on Sunday (qualifying race & main event race). If you normally run with another organization and haven't ran a NASA event since last May (or before), you may qualify for a special discount. Email me privately for additional details.

It has also come to our attention that trophies may have been forgotten at the last couple races. This was an oversight on our part and we sincerely apologize if we missed you. The organization purchased many trophies for this season (the best looking plastic ones yet IMO) so it's a shame that they are still sitting in our trailer in an unopened box! I will personally make sure these get handed out at the May event on both SAT (<-- @ the BBQ) & SUN (<-- in Impound). Going forward, please remind Jeff or Paul (Race Co/Directors).
NOTE: For Time Trial, we planned to start handing out the in-famous "NASA Winner" stickers which I do not think has happened yet either, but it will.

Thank you,

Tage & Adina Evanson
NASA Arizona Regional Director(s)
Joe Paluch
Last Edit: 14 years ago by joepaluch.

Re:May- Big Spec race at PIR 14 years ago #7323

Ok
temps in upper 70's lower 80's. Shockingly nice for May!
Saturday
Practice 1
Practice 2
Timed Qualy
Feature Race

Sunday
Warm up
Qual race with inverted start (top 10 or 50% of the field)
Feature race

Input need.
Looks like we will have 13 cars racing with us. When I invert the field for Sunday's qualy race I was shooting for 10 based on having 20 cars. Now that we have 13 I am think about keeping to 50%. So about the the top 7.

So this gives me a couple options

1) Invert top 10
2) Invert top 7
3) Do a coin flip after saturday's race on 10 vs 7.

I actually like the 3rd option. This way if you are in P7,8,9,10 it becomes a real mystery where you will start the qualy race. Maybe up front maybe not. Less chance of gamming the system for Sunday.
Joe Paluch
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, norman#99
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds