(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California South Region Website

nasasocal.com/

TOPIC: Ventura County Spec’s??

Re: Ventura County Spec’s?? 6 years, 1 month ago #21984

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
Dino,
While most of us on this forum spend a lot of time with NASA, I and others also participate in PCA events.
1 Not much relevant activity from LA area PCA
2 Orange County PCA very active. Several 944 guys active. AX's at El Toro (closing soon or already) and now a local stadium or airport, not sure. They do a few big track events, but not a lot.
3 GPX region, or Grand Prix, does a lot local to you. Several 944 guys. They are also well known for an event at Streets of Willow called the "Day away from Work" Autocross that is more of a DE with an AX at the end.
4 San Diego Region is extremely active with a LOT of 944's at every level. Lots of AX in San Diego and 6-8 big track DE/ Time Trials and including a couple of PCA races each year.

In Addition, POC holds a lot of big track events when you are ready for that. Three or Four serious 944 racers active.

So, for AX, PCA is the most active. You can run with all of them (They play well together). For Big Track events, NASA and PCA have DE and Time Trial with about equal number of events and 944 players. You can do both with only a few conflicts. For racing, the most 944's play in NASA. PCA has fewer local races, but is still fun and you will have a few 944's to play with. POC has the most events, but fewer 944's participating. All run quality events at all levels.

Chuck
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes

Re: Ventura County Spec’s?? 6 years, 1 month ago #21985

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
Chuck, Dino has an interesting idea as it relates to Vintage and getting special treatment for bringing a significant number of cars to an event. As a group their are 8-12 of us that are very active in NASA through the year. I thought of you as someone who does the PCA races at times. Could we as a group all decide to do an extra event at Vintage or PCA. The NASA SoCal Calendar is only the following: ( 6 events counting AZ crossover)

Feb 17/18 – Chuckwalla (SoCal points for SM, SE30, 944Spec, and AI)
March 10/11– Willow Springs
April 21/22– Buttonwillow
May 19/20 – Auto Club Speedway
June 23/24 – Buttonwillow
Sept 14-16 – COTA (Championships)
Oct 13/14 – Buttonwillow

Could we add an event such as the November 10th-11th PCA event at Buttonwillow. If we could would PCA do something for us if we brought 10 cars.

Dino can you make it up to Willow Springs March 10/11 either with your car or just to come and meet the class. As a group we could sit down and discuss the PCA event as a year end possibility.

Re: Ventura County Spec’s?? 6 years, 1 month ago #21986

• reflexr
  • Senior Racer
You know, I believe VARA has just added the 944 as eligible to race. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Joey Genitempo
NASA SoCal
No. 42
88 944 Spec- Blue Camouflage- retired
84 944 Spec- Green- 42
84 944 Spec- Yellow- 24
87 944 Spec-

Re: Ventura County Spec’s?? 6 years, 1 month ago #21987

Joey,

Yes, the 944’s are eligible however they would run in kind of a catch all class called CR (club racer) where there would be a mix of cars like M3’s of that time period and perhaps some other sports racers.

However, if there were enough of one class they would make a separate run group.
Dino
Camarillo, Ca
1983 944 Spec build in progress
1983 944 Donor/part out
1986 944 automatic donor
Last Edit: 6 years, 1 month ago by Vintagercr.

Re: Ventura County Spec’s?? 6 years, 1 month ago #21988

• reflexr
  • Senior Racer
Interesting.
Joey Genitempo
NASA SoCal
No. 42
88 944 Spec- Blue Camouflage- retired
84 944 Spec- Green- 42
84 944 Spec- Yellow- 24
87 944 Spec-

Re: Ventura County Spec’s?? 6 years, 1 month ago #21989

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
Vintage is great to watch. I regularly attend several as a spectator. The concern for me as a racer, is that our cars would never have a shot at winning anything as we get placed in a group that we are significantly underpowered for. SVRA has 944's back east, at least at Watkins Glen, but are grouped by era. So, the newest cars all get grouped together, and 944's tend to be at the back.

If VARA would let us run as a "class within a group", it could be fun. Vintage has a whole different atmosphere.

For PCA, in the past, all that I have been able to get is to have the Race License fee cover the last event of the year as well as the following year. With the current rules, we would need 15 cars to get a separate flag. However, there is a new series director that is very aggressive, so I could run something up a flag pole.
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes
The following user(s) said Thank You: reflexr
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds