Username Password: Remember me

WANTED: '87 or '88 944
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: WANTED: '87 or '88 944

Re: WANTED: '87 or '88 944 12 years, 11 months ago #10942

• UFfitz56
  • Comp School
GT944 wrote:
@Salanis42 -- thanks for the offer, but unfortunately Aaron is right -- I've decided that it has to be a 944, despite the several advantages that the 924S affords. I've got to be picky Aaron, if I don't love my car it will bug me as long as I own it!

I'm sorry for the noob question/thread jack but what are some of those advantages? Shorter track width - better aero for bigger tracks? Looking for a donor car too and not 100% sure which one to go with even though I am leaning towards a 944.

Thanks!

Re: WANTED: '87 or '88 944 12 years, 11 months ago #10946

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
Bamf3000 wrote:
I know, I just like to give you a hard time. Im assuming you missed the one on KSL that was gray and they wanted 3k for? I believe it was an 87

I went and looked at that one - it was a decent candidate if I could have gotten it for $1000, but I didn't make an offer because I wanted something without rust (picky). Kyle, the local water pumper dismantling/parts guy ended up purchasing it. The search continues! I may pull the trigger on a local '87 I found on KSL -- cleaner than I would want, but straight body and I can run the motor for a long time while I try to find and rebuild an '88. I can't pay asking price, but I'm debating on making an offer.

www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=443

Input, anyone?
- Greg - #518

'88 944 Spec Racer - Race Ready! (finally)

Re: WANTED: '87 or '88 944 12 years, 11 months ago #10947

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
UFfitz56 wrote:
GT944 wrote:
@Salanis42 -- thanks for the offer, but unfortunately Aaron is right -- I've decided that it has to be a 944, despite the several advantages that the 924S affords. I've got to be picky Aaron, if I don't love my car it will bug me as long as I own it!

I'm sorry for the noob question/thread jack but what are some of those advantages? Shorter track width - better aero for bigger tracks? Looking for a donor car too and not 100% sure which one to go with even though I am leaning towards a 944.

Thanks!

Based on my experience and the info I've gathered, here's what I know about the 924S and why they are a good option for 944 Spec: they are better set up aerodynamically and are easier to get down to weight than a late model 944. I'm sure there are more, but that's the claim that I found to be most consistent. Anyone else know more about this?

I've decided to go for a 85.5 or later 944 because the wiring was updated to a more reliable/easier to work on setup, the suspension geometry changed and can be updated to the 87-89 style (which I have parts for and prefer) I realize that many guys like the early stuff because they don't break ball joints as much, but I figure with regular rebuilds I can work around that issue. Also, the track width on the 944 is wider than the 924S. The 924S is allowed to run wheel spacers and roll the fenders to make the track width the same, but I hate body work and would prefer to run a car that has a suspension geometry closer to stock for reliability purposes. Beyond that, I have worked on and seen several 944's since I started autocrossing and running DE days. My family runs 944's and rather than build a car that we would have to learn all over again, I want to go with something that I can get help on and have parts for most easily. Obviously this last reason is situational and may or may not apply to you.

The beauty of this class is that no matter which you choose, you should be able to build a competitive car! But that's my two bits. If anyone else has info to share (which I'm sure they do!) feel free to pop in and help us out here - my experience in this class is limited.
- Greg - #518

Re: WANTED: '87 or '88 944 12 years, 11 months ago #10948

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
michaelreich wrote:
there is an '87 with a sign on it down the street from me (Greenville, SC). I saw it this morning - think he wants $2,900

Let me know if anyone wants me to get a phone number.

Thanks for the find, I think I'll decline (shipping costs). Hoping to find something in CA - there are a couple transport services w/ reasonable rates.
- Greg - #518

Re: WANTED: '87 or '88 944 12 years, 11 months ago #10950

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
Go Check out this one. www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&nid=443&.../view&ad=4333359

I know its red, but it looks to be ok. Dunno how much he would come down on price though.
-Aaron
The following user(s) said Thank You: GT944

Re: WANTED: '87 or '88 944 12 years, 11 months ago #10951

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
Bamf3000 wrote:
Go Check out this one. www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&nid=443&.../view&ad=4333359

I know its red, but it looks to be ok. Dunno how much he would come down on price though.

This one looked like a score to me too, unfortunately its A/T Not sure I would be capable of successfully outfitting the car for M/T operation. Otherwise a great candidate!

What do you think about this '86? I'm going to try to look at it when I get home today, and plan on swapping to late suspension.

www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=443&sid=733005&tab=list
- Greg - #518

Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by GT944. Reason: Adding detail, avoiding overpost
Moderators: SvoChuck, joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds