Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10311

Per JWL's post above, I don't think any 944 Spec decision should be made prior to NASA taking a position.

Do we have an accurate count on how many racers we have that currently need to use other-than-Toyo tires? Did I read correctly earlier in the year that RMR was running a different class anyway?

I'd hate to see 944 Spec throw away all of our Toyo contingencies over a few guys needing tires. We might be able to pool resources and cover them instead of changing the rules.

I *think* that everyone in NorCal has RA-1s for at least most of the season.

Erik, could you get each director to take an actual count of people in need of tires so we can bracket this problem?

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10312

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
Big Dog wrote:

I do not have enough knowledge to comment on this except to say that 16 inch wheels are a bad idea, in my opinion. The cost to get enough wheels would be very high.

Jim "Big Dog" Foxx

+1

I would say avoid going to 16 inch...has to be a last resort as it requires significant costs.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10314

We've been working with shortages for some time prior to the disaster, and we are just now getting into racing season for the Rocky Mountain, Midwest, and Great Lakes Regions, as well as the new Texas region. That's a lot of racers to "feed." I know of 7 racers in the Midwest off the top of my head who own one set usable of tires, or less, including myself. Chuck has posted he has at least 3 guys waiting for tires right now. It's the nature of a budget class to not be able to afford stockpiles of tires. For myself, the tires I had went with the cars I sold over the winter. There are several racers who built new cars this year, who will not be able to race within two weeks without a tire option. These guys, like Ken who has the 20+ page build thread, have had tires on order, but none to be had.
Before I posted this up, I made many calls, and got through to most of the series directors. We've grown pretty big, and we need a lot of tires, nationwide!

I understand the concern, and it's a crappy situation, but the numbers just don't come close to working out. We've been following this for a while, try to maximize what we have, but doing nothing is really not an option at this point. Our initial plan was to utilize other sizes, and the R-888, but after looking at current dismal numbers/availability of those tires, that doesn't buy any significant amount of time. Forcing a few guys to scrounge for leftover, unloved R-888's, and then opening up the rules so the next guy can buy something else a few weeks later is not a great solution. We've seen this problem progress pretty quickly, because reserves were pretty low. Frankly, we're already behind the eight ball here.

The only temporary solution that buys a significant amount of time staying on Toyos, is to allow 205 RA-1's & R-888's, but that supply may well not last until Nationals.

There is an option to maintain both regional, and national contingencies by Spec'ing a Hoosier SM6 tire, that is about $175/each, but that was shot down by the series directors for the reasons outlined in the first post.

Yes, some of the RM guys are already have NT-01's for a variety of reasons, but those are coming into short supply as well, and I don't want to make another tire rule change later in the year, especially closer to Nationals, and it doesn't help the contingency issue. It is a nice silver lining that we will be bringing those guys back into the fold this year with the current proposal.

On the 16" option, 16" x 6 or 7" OEM wheels (phone dial, sewer plate style, etc.) are out there for around $300, and the 16" Michelins are about $200 cheaper than the other options, outside of the remaining Nittos. That said, it may well not be needed to meet our needs, and does complicate things.

Keep the thoughts coming - maybe there is still a better solution out there!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10316

Erik,

Again, thank you for the open and honest commentary on the situation. Sounds like a bunch of crappy options . Hopefully NASA and Toyo come through on the contingency stuff so we at least get some benefit of being a Toyo class with their stickers all over our cars (even if we're running other tires out of necessity).

Again, your first proposal (the +7 rule) still seems to be the best compromise available. If the overall diameter and width of the 16" option is the same with tires mounted, I don't see any reason not to allow that as a one time exception.

At the end of the day, we are racing for fun in an ameteur series. When you think about the reason for the shortage, this problem is pretty insignificant compared to other places in the world. Let's all find the best compromise and go racing.

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10317

At the end of the day, we are racing for fun in an ameteur series. When you think about the reason for the shortage, this problem is pretty insignificant compared to other places in the world. Let's all find the best compromise and go racing.

Well said!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10318

With the cost of shaving figured in, I believe the bfgoodrich r1 and Hankooks are competitive costwise. I don't have much experience with the tires listed under the pt rules.

To keep the variables out of the class, it would be nice if we could find a single alternate tire.

This may not help west coasters but if we designate a rain tire, that would allow me to shave down a set of ra1s to run in the dry. I think I ran one race in the rain last year. Seems like a waste to have a spec tire just sitting on the trailer.

Thanks Eric and John for all of the info.
-Shannon
Rothmans 944(pictured) is For Sale
Red 944 no. 16, 944 Spec Great Lakes
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds