Username Password: Remember me

Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10478

Here is a note from POC

Dear POC Member:

RE: 944 Spec and Boxster Spec Tire Shortage

We are aware of the Toyo Tire shortage for 944 Spec and Boxster Spec cars.

Kip Waterhouse has been investigating alternatives. Here is the latest information we can provide:

944 SPEC
This group will be allowed to run any non-slick tire they can obtain through the end of the season, or until rubber is available. We will allow a period after rubber is available to transition back so Drivers can use up what rubber they have. No track records will be recognized during this period.

BOXSTER SPEC
Tires for this group are still be reviewed by the Boxster Spec organization. We should have further word on this in the next couple of days

I wouldn't recommend this for our local regions, sticking to the +7 series of tires would be a more fair way to play. Might be a good idea to put track records on hold till the dust settles too.
Norman #99
Last Edit: 13 years ago by norman#99.

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10479

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Gentlemen,

I am a shit stirrer from way back in Kansas and can stir it with the best. However, in this situation, stirring things up will not help any of us. While I am not happy with our tire problem either, it is NO ones fault and there is nothing any of us can do about it.

I will support whatever decision is made about tires because that is the best thing for our class. I don't have to like it but I do feel the need to support our leadership regardless because there are NO great, or even good, solutions and I see no reason to tear our class apart.

I believe we should all continue trying to assist with the tire issue, even after a quick solution is made, to try to make things better. Even if we do not have a solution that we like, support the decision and keep going in the best way possible. Our leadership, and NASA leadership deserves our support. We will come out the other side of this but we may not see that for some time.

Jim Foxx
Jim Foxx

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10481

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Hoosier is well respected for a reason, and I would certainly prefer to do business with them over Toyo, but they still aren't the right choice for this class. We need a low-priced long-lasting spec tire, otherwise checkbook racing screws up this class even more than it already has. The RA-1's stopped fitting that purpose a while ago because of the monopolistic pricing, but the answer is not to just give up and let anything fly.

The +7 tire idea had merit... it may not be perfect, but it's better than making this a de facto Hoosier class. If NASA can't figure that out and give Eric and other directors the control that they should have, then they deserve to lose this class and have their business fall apart. The thrill of being a racer sometimes makes us forget that we're the paying customers here and shouldn't have to put up with this crap, but there is still a breaking point that is being reached here.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10485

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
+1000

Big Dog wrote:
Gentlemen,

I am a shit stirrer from way back in Kansas and can stir it with the best. However, in this situation, stirring things up will not help any of us. While I am not happy with our tire problem either, it is NO ones fault and there is nothing any of us can do about it.

I will support whatever decision is made about tires because that is the best thing for our class. I don't have to like it but I do feel the need to support our leadership regardless because there are NO great, or even good, solutions and I see no reason to tear our class apart.

I believe we should all continue trying to assist with the tire issue, even after a quick solution is made, to try to make things better. Even if we do not have a solution that we like, support the decision and keep going in the best way possible. Our leadership, and NASA leadership deserves our support. We will come out the other side of this but we may not see that for some time.

Jim Foxx
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10490

norman#99 wrote:
... Might be a good idea to put track records on hold till the dust settles too.

Yes in Az, but a new track record will be set at INDE in few weeks. That will count if run you on RA-1 225/50 R15. Anything else included RA-1 in other similar sizes will not count as a track record. I don't want to pollute Az track records with some possibly unattainble numbers, but if run fast on the regular tires it should still count.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10491

• Robbie
  • Junior Racer
  • The dread pirate
[edited]

A solution is in place. Talk with your regions to decide how you want to race this year. I know in RMR we are set. The only question is how Nationals is going to be handled and my hope is that NASA has learned from their past mistakes with the R888/RA1 issue and will make a firm commitment to a tire rule and stick with it well before Nationals so that racers aren't left out in the cold. I know I'm set for the season and only care about having some fun, close racing with the rest of the RMR folks!
1987 924S #5 NASA RM
Last Edit: 13 years ago by joepaluch.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds