Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10508

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
cbuzzetti wrote:
Is racer X from RMR?

If yes then I thought you guys had decided to do your own thing anyways.

Why keep adding fuel to the fire? Move on!!

We need solutions not whiners.

No, I'm from the MW region and sometimes cross over to the GL region.

This will be my first season with you guys/gals. I don't have any tires yet. ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA!!! 1st race in less than a week. If I had a set, even an old set I wouldn't be "whinning"
I know I'll be a back marker in this class, regardless of tire, too many good drivers. Being a rookie and just learning the car, I'd rather not learn on multiple tires. It will be hard enough to learn on just one kind.

If NASA has the pull with Toyo, why don't they have Toyo send the molds for the RA-1 here to the states to be made.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 13 years ago by RacerX.

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10510

• rlofgren
  • Seasoned Racer
RacerX,

I just did a one day school in January on street tires in my 944spec. This was because of the wet/dry conditions and my only other tires were shaved RA1s. I dried out later in the day and I was surprized that the street tires actually had a lot of grip.

If you are just starting out, I doesn't really matter what tires you use. You will learn just as much at that level on street tires as on race tires. Once you have some seat time, you can start fine tuning and then the race tires will be more important. You will also save money this way.

I know this is a bad situation we are in, but we all have to make the best of it.
944-SPEC #30 Norcal 2010 Champion
944-SPEC #23 non sunroof
1990 944 S2 street
2003 Mini Cooper S
Lofgren Construction
leafbranch.com/

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10511

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
RacerX

I wish it was that easy that it could be a mold to send but I think comp tires have a totally different approach to being made than a street tire.

Your solution is simple - take your credit card and call treadzone ASAP and get a set of brand new full tread tires sent to your house by Tuesday or Wed next week as they have them in stock in PA which is 2 day ground shipping to IL. Those should last you 2-3 weekends depending on how many miles you do and how hard you push.

Whinnig and Winning is what happens in all forms of racing...and a simple h separates both so welcome aboard.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 13 years ago by jaje.

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10512

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Thanks guys. Sorry if I offended anyone in the post before last, I was just frustrated. The street tires are old and dry rotted. Either way I need a set. I'll give them a call and see what they have left.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10513

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
RacerX wrote:
Thanks guys. Sorry if I offended anyone in the post before last, I was just frustrated. The street tires are old and dry rotted. Either way I need a set. I'll give them a call and see what they have left.

Honest customer feedback is nothing to apologize for. If people want to be offended, then so be it. Keeping our mouths shut when something is wrong would be doing a disservice to all of us.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years ago #10514

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Buttonwillow currently has multiple sets of 225-45-15 RA1 in stock. I know this is not a currently legal size but will be legal soon (May 1).
Call Les or Carrie at 661-674-5333

If you are just starting out there is no need for shaved tires. Buy the full treads and you may get a whole season out of them depending on your driving ability.

To all please excuse my earlier comments.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion