Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10374

How many Hoosiers are available?

I think it would take more than 100 LBs to equalize a Hoosier car with 225 width tires. However, with 205 tires, maybe that brings things more into line.

At the end of the day, there may not be any other option.

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10375

944Racer72 wrote:
I think it would take more than 100 LBs to equalize a Hoosier car with 225 width tires. However, with 205 tires, maybe that brings things more into line.

I don't think there would be much performance difference between the 225 and the 205. A 7" wheel is narrow for a 205 R6. Although 7" is listed in the recommended range for rim width, this is for DOT compliance. Hoosier's rule for radials is the wheel should be +-.5" of the tire width. So 205mm / 25.4 mm/in = 8.07", or a range of 7.5" - 8.5". Thus a 7" wheel is .5" less than the ideal range. For a 225 R6, you'd need a 8.5" wheel.

-bj

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10382

Thanks for the support guys, it is a great class, and we'll figure it out. Our problems are pretty small relative to the cause of this all.

Here's what I know at this point.

Hoosier wants to step up. Jeremy Croiset at NASA contacted them, and they have enough supply of the 205/50/15 SM6 tires in stock now, to supply all of the 944 Spec cars out there with a set, and then some. They are cranking up production in anticipation of more demand, as well. Hoosier also has offered to pay out a large sum for nationals, in addition to their regional contingencies.

All of the issues with a significantly stickier tire still exist, and they are big, but at least everyone has the opportunity to get one, unlike the other options. If the Victoracers turns out to be significantly faster, and only a few guys can get them, that's an issue as well.

This seems to be a somewhat regional problem - AZ & California regions seem better off, the MW, RM & Texas regions not so good. Maybe a gentleman's agreement in the better off regions to run the RA-1's as long as possible, and the other regions, allow the 205/50/15 SM6 with a 100 lb. weight penalty?

I'm uncomfortable with this solution, as it does not protect the guys with RA-1's as well as I had intended, however, spec'ing tires that only a few can get is not a good option either.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel, and go with an open tire
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10383

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
We want to avoid a tire war if possible. If you think HP is expensive you havent seen anything yet.

Maybe someone can test the Hoosier soon and tell us what handicap they might suggest.

any idea on expected cycles for the Hoosier?
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10384

You can expect 7-10 HC's at best.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10385

Sterling Doc wrote:
Hoosier wants to step up. Jeremy Croiset at NASA contacted them, and they have enough supply of the 205/50/15 SM6 tires in stock now, to supply all of the 944 Spec cars out there with a set, and then some. They are cranking up production in anticipation of more demand, as well. Hoosier also has offered to pay out a large sum for nationals, in addition to their regional contingencies.

That's awesome to hear. I'd love to be on the same size as the Miata's. Not only could we buy Miata takeoffs, but we could also sell our take offs. I haven't had a lot of interest in used 225/50-15 RA1s.

Sterling Doc wrote:
All of the issues with a significantly stickier tire still exist, and they are big, but at least everyone has the opportunity to get one, unlike the other options. If the Victoracers turns out to be significantly faster, and only a few guys can get them, that's an issue as well.

This is racing and it's damn expensive. Sure, this is a cost conscious class, but like all classes it costs money to run in the front of the pack. I've already bought a set of RA1s to start the season here in TX. Would I be upset if I ran RA1s and the other guys showed up on Hoosiers the next race? Nah, I bet I could still beat most of them.

Seriously, I one time change that cost me some money would be fine with me to keep a spec tire. I'm sure most of us run some HPDEs. I could save my RA1s for those events.

Sterling Doc wrote:
This seems to be a somewhat regional problem - AZ & California regions seem better off, the MW, RM & Texas regions not so good. Maybe a gentleman's agreement in the better off regions to run the RA-1's as long as possible, and the other regions, allow the 205/50/15 SM6 with a 100 lb. weight penalty?

I think this is more than fair. Let individual regions decide how they are going to use up their tires. I could see us in Texas swapping ans selling each other RA1s until they are all used up.

Sterling Doc wrote:
I'm uncomfortable with this solution, as it does not protect the guys with RA-1's as well as I had intended, however, spec'ing tires that only a few can get is not a good option either.

The situation sucks. But no one can plan for "acts of God". I really like the idea of making the Hoosiers the new Spec tire. I really love the contingency, too: www.nasaproracing.com/contingency/hoosie...Contingency_Info.pdf

7+ Starters = 2 Free Tires for 1st, 1 for 2nd, and One for 3rd. So if you finished on the podium both money races in a weekend you'd have 2 - 4 new tires!!!

Sterling Doc wrote:
I'm about ready to throw in the towel, and go with an open tire

I hope that is a joke...

Sterling Doc wrote:
Our problems are pretty small relative to the cause of this all.

This is the most important statement here. Worries about what tire to use on my Porsche race car seems pretty trivial compared to the suffering and loss in Japan.

-bj
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds