Username Password: Remember me

Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10386

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Yes the contingency looks very favorable.
The heat cycles do not. But as was said earlier we don't have a lot of good options.
I would prefer a spec tire over an open tire situation.
Unfortunately until we are all on the same tire the contingency would most likely be void.
So this year is a wash as far as I can tell.

This is all very trivial in comparison to the big picture but none the less must be dealt with.

Looks like the was good news today about the reactors. They have stopped the radioactive water from going into the ocean.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10387

Here's the Hoosier contingency, and it does not require that it is the only tire:

NASA CONTINGENCY AWARD
PROGRAM GUIDELINES & AWARDS
Updated: 3-08-2011

NASA CLUB RACING:
PAYOUT FOR THE FOLLOWING CLASSES:
AIX: American Iron Extreme, GTS: German Touring Sports Car-All Classes, SU: Super Unlimited
PT: Performance Touring-All Classes, ST: Super Touring-All Classes
TT: Time Trial All Classes

SPRINT & ENDURO RACES
1st Place - 1 tire (minimum 3-6 cars in class)
1st Place - 2 tires (minimum 7 or more cars in class)
2nd Place - 1 tire (minimum 5 or more cars in class)
3rd Place - 1 tire (minimum 7 or more cars in class)

In addition to the compliance with the applicable competition rules and regulations in effect at the time of the event, the following Hoosier Contingency Award Program Guidelines must be adhered to.

Tires will be awarded for a maximum of one official points paying race per day, and a maximum of two official points paying races per race weekend event. If a class has more than two races per weekend, the race class leader must indicate which two races are eligible for this program. If someone is competing in any race class and TT class on the same day, they may only claim an award for the highest one of those finishing positions. A maximum of four(4) tires can be claimed per event.

Hoosier Racing Tires must be used on all four wheel positions in any NASA competition class for which you are claiming an award.
To participate in Hoosier's NASA contingency program, race tires must be purchased through one of our authorized trackside dealers/distributors.

Click on the link below to find your nearest Hoosier Tire contact:

Hoosier Tire Trackside Distributor List

DECALS & PATCHES:

CLUB RACING: 10" x 3.5" Hoosier decals must be visibly displayed on both sides above the tires and on the front of the race vehicle. A Hoosier patch must be sewn on the competitor's uniform. These items will be supplied in your participant package after registering online at www.hoosiertire.com or contact Hoosier Racing Tire Corp. via phone or e-mail.

No competing tire decals should be visible on the car.

The participant's name, current address, telephone number, car model and photo, competition class and tire size(s) must be on file prior to the date of the event in which you participated.

Copies of the official race results and a scrutineer signed Hoosier Contingency Award Program Redemption Form should be forwarded to Hoosier Racing Tire Corp. as soon as possible to ensure timely processing. (Additional Redemption Forms available upon request or online.) Contingencies will not be awarded unless and until both items are submitted to and received by Hoosier Racing Tire Corp. This is a mandatory requirement and there will be no exceptions.

Any tires received through this program are for the recipients use only and are not to be sold or given to anyone else. Compliance is required and randomly checked. Tires claimed must be reflective of the tires you won on. The Hoosier Racing Tire Contingency Program makes no provisions for freight or mounting and balancing.

All Contingency Awards must be claimed by December 15th of the same year in which the award was earned. Requests received after this date will be denied.

Falsification or non-compliance of any of the above guidelines will be considered grounds for disqualification as a participant in the Hoosier Contingency Award Program. This public relations effort on your part is Hoosier's value received for our Contingency Program. We appreciate your cooperation. Photographs may also be submitted but will not be returned.

Hoosier Racing Tire Corp.
65465 U.S. 31
Lakeville, IN 46536
Phone: 1-574-784-3152
Fax: 1-574-784-2385

Copyright © 2008 Hoosier Racing Tire Corp. All rights reserved.
Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form.

Looks like you would have to take off your Toyo decals.

Ah well, I'm already a law breaker for violating the copyright at the bottom

FWIW, the SCCA SM guys are claiming more HC's, YMMV
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10388

Run take offs? That Is giving up before you even start. I have never run take offs in a race. The reason they are take offs is cause the fast guys consider them junk. Why even bother?

Hoosiers are faster than RA1s by enough to make racing aginst them pointless. The poor and slow just get slower and the poor and fast get slow. Now the only winners will be the rich and kind of fast. That is not was got me into this class 9 years ago nor has kept me in the class all these years.

The appeal of his class is being able to run on a shoestring budget and if you had some skill and ingenuity you could compete with anyone.

Let's see my last set of RA1s cost me 165 each and should last 24-28 heat cylces before I can't run up front with them. At 6 heat cycle per event that comes to 4 event or about half a season. With Hoosiers I am looking at the same upfront cost, but they might last a weekend and a half. That just busted my racing budget. So I can choose to either not race or be back marker.

Heck I might as well convert my car for PT where at least I can try to smart guys with budget builds.

I really worry hoosiers are the death of 944-spec.

Look I know 5 guy in az who are good to go for the season on ra1s and few that might need a victoracer or NTO1 to make it through our season. We only have 6 races left for year. After having run 8 already. We don't need hoosiers.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10390

I have only read the last couple of pages and hope that I am not being redundant, I agree with Charlie, heat cycles are an issue with Hoosier, 7-10 heat cycles is one set of tires per weekend!!! That isn't fair to those not winning tires every race, but more so that goes against what we have been trying to accomplish with this class.

Why not go with a toyo R1R 140 tread wear, what's the difference going with a Hoosier and dealing with it being a faster tire than getting a slower tire and dealing with that? Or Nitto, I am not partial to brand, only keeping it as inexpensive as possible and equal, although Toyo has been a big supporter for a long time and if we can stand by them during this bad time, maybe they will remember us for doing it.

What I have heard about the R1R, it is made in the US and Japan, same compound as RA1 but deeper tread to give it the 140 tread wear rating. I am sure it is slower, but will last longer. then we can put the weight into the cars with RA1's till they are used up.

Set of tires per weekend is too rich for my blood!!!

Norm
Norman #99

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10391

R1R is about $158 per. I'll look into it. I've gotten 4 calls today from guys waiting to order, but I'll do my best to explore all our options.

Weight penalty for RA-1's vs. R1R's?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10392

Thanks for listening Eric and for putting so much effort into getting this done.
Norman #99
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds