Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10413

I have not seen any ball joint failures or suspension issues with the Hoosiers. I think you find if there are issues with those items it would be minimal at most (and most likely cases involving cars that have not been maintained to a standard that most people keep their race cars prepared).

I do agree that you get into situations where money becomes king, but I think that already exists (at least with 944 cup it does) and I have yet to run in any series where it was not the case, no matter if it is Spec racer fords, spec miata, Vintage (way expensive)and I would add 944 spec to that group (because you don't know what your competitors are doing with their motors, diffs, and other parts besides tires). WIth Hoosiers, it is definitely more expensive.

Joey Sullivan

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10414

• Robbie
  • Junior Racer
  • The dread pirate
cbuzzetti wrote:
Something to consider with the R1R test is that it sounds as if they were testing at an autocross.
If this is true then these tires may not be any good for road racing.
This looks like a tire that Speed World Challenge used a few years ago.
If this is the case we want to stay away from those they were terrible. (personal experience)

I've actually used street tires that are built for SCCA's ST class on the track all of last summer on my 924S with a full Spec suspension and a full interior and didn't suffer any issues. You won't see the peak grip of an RA-1 or an NT-01 but it is close and I didn't suffer any overheating issues even in the heat of the summer on a heavy car. I ran the 205/50/15 Dunlop Star Spec. The Hankook RS-3 is very similar to the Dunlop (even superior according to some in grip and heat tolerance) and comes in the 225/50/15 size. If people within the region are on this tire, it'll definitely produce fun, even racing and my Dunlops survived most of a season and didn't feel heat cycled out when I got the car race ready.

The Toyo R1R is probably too narrow and too sensitive to heat to run well over a long life. Also, the R1R has to be shaved to 4/32. The first 4/32 (so from 8/32 to 4/32) is a harder compound. The RE-11 is too expensive. The Kuhmo XS is bad in the rain. The Yokohama AD-08, Star Spec and RS-3 are very evenly matched, but the Yoko and Dunlop only come in 205/50/15.

Comparing the current crop of ST tires to the Toyo street tire used in World Challenge YEARS ago isn't a valid comparison.
1987 924S #5 NASA RM
Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by Robbie.

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10415

Jim, I just talked to Tom H, he ran the Goodyear with SCCA, it's a 45 tread wear tire, he said it lasted longer than the Hoosiers but not as long as the RA1, biggest issue was cost, back then he recalls they were over $180 each. Also he thought that they only came in 205's??? He wasn't sure of the size or the name of the tire.

Heading down to Phoenix now to visit Tage,(owner of NASA-AZ) not sure if you all know, but his car caught on fire after 10 minutes of our enduro this past Saturday night and he has pretty bad burns on his face and neck, he is in a burn center, his life is not in danger, but could use everybody's good thoughts and prayers.
Norman #99

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10416

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Give him our best Norm!!!
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10417

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
cbuzzetti wrote:
Something to consider with the R1R test is that it sounds as if they were testing at an autocross.

This was the track they used...4 laps around "Driveway Austin"
It seems the article was geared more towards Auto-X but the track with additional slalom section probably provides a decent enough test.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10418

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Hoosier seems like a logical choice. Just transition in to them like you did from the 888 tires.

They are an American company. Yes they cost more but your helping to keep jobs here at home. I wouldn't mind paying a little more knowing that I'm helping a fellow American and Company to prosper.

Sounds like they're offering a good contingency. Maybe you could get them to honor the Toyo contingency for a period of time. This way the regions who have all their Toyo tires can keep racing on them for awhile and get contingency for the new Hoosiers.

The tires are available in our sizes. They're willing to step up to the plate for us. Let's switch over to a new spec tire.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by RacerX.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds