Username Password: Remember me

Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10419

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
I do NOT want to move to Hoosiers as our permanent spec tire ! One of the deciding factors of picking this class was the affordability and LONG Life of the RA-1
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10420

JerryW wrote:
I do NOT want to move to Hoosiers as our permanent spec tire ! One of the deciding factors of picking this class was the affordability and LONG Life of the RA-1

+1
85.5 944 Spec #51 - Midwest
86 951

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10421

• Robbie
  • Junior Racer
  • The dread pirate
RacerX wrote:
Hoosier seems like a logical choice. Just transition in to them like you did from the 888 tires.

They are an American company. Yes they cost more but your helping to keep jobs here at home. I wouldn't mind paying a little more knowing that I'm helping a fellow American and Company to prosper.

Sounds like they're offering a good contingency. Maybe you could get them to honor the Toyo contingency for a period of time. This way the regions who have all their Toyo tires can keep racing on them for awhile and get contingency for the new Hoosiers.

The tires are available in our sizes. They're willing to step up to the plate for us. Let's switch over to a new spec tire.

Have you looked at the running costs for Hoosiers? That's not low cost racing. If we're going to Hoosiers, then I'd just do a full ITS build on my 924S and run in whatever PT class with NT01's I fall in. Also, the R888 change was very poorly managed and hurt a lot of racers nationwide. Whatever tire is decided on, it needs to be decided on now and kept standard for the rest of the season including Nationals.
1987 924S #5 NASA RM

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10423

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
Just say no to High Dollar tires that need changing every other weekend.

"The Porsche 944™-924S™ spec class is a class for those individuals that wish to race a Porsche in a competitive series with limited expense and low cost of operation. These rules are intended to control costs and reduce any performance advantage from the cars so that driving ability and race setup are the greatest factors in determining winners."
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10424

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
If Hoosiers become an option then EVERYONE will need to buy tires whether or not they already have RA-1's of any kind. There is no way to compete with anyone on HoHo's on any lesser tire - and they are like crack ! Drive them once and you don't want to give them up.

This is the worst option I've heard of.

Also the contengency appears to only pay out to 1st & 2nd where the Toyo one pays out to 5th (agreed limited but it all helps spread the benefits).
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Spec Tire Rule Change Proposal 13 years, 1 month ago #10426

• Big Dog
  • Banned
How about Goodyear Eagle RS tires? They are made in Akron. They wear better than Hoosiers but not quite as good as Toyo's. A significant issue with them is that they need to be heat cycled and put away for a minimum of 24 hours, and better for a week, or they wear very fast. If scrubbed in and let set, they seem to wear well.

They are faster than Toyo's but not as fast as Hoosiers. Shelby Enterprises (Phoenix) would love to try to help make this happen. The retail price is higher but they do not need to be shaved. Perhaps a "deal" can be worked out on the price. National would need to help there but it is an option for another American tire. I have a contact if there is interest in following up.

This seems like it could make some sense if we can get the price to a reasonable level.

Jim Foxx
Jim Foxx
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds