Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

OIL
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: OIL

Re: OIL 11 years, 8 months ago #13804

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
[quote="944Racer72" post=13802]the problem I've had is high silica (dirt). After the last analysisquote]

Could it be just wear? Our engines do not have a cast cylinder liner. They are made of aluminum and silica, alusil. Could it be that a cylinder/s is wearing? A scoring cylinder would put more silica in the oil. Just a thought.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: OIL 11 years, 8 months ago #13809

I have asked the same question of the oil analysis guys and they said maybe but it seems high over a short period of time. Oil analysis is mostly based on the track record for an individual engine so every time I do one it establishes more of a baseline of what "normal" is. I've only done about 3 so far.

Either way it couldn't hurt to change the o-ring which was clearly brittle and old.

Re: OIL 11 years, 8 months ago #13811

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
I will bet you are running a K&N type filter and if you are skimping on the oil treatment you have found your source of silica. They flow more air but they also flow more dirt

944Racer72 wrote:
I agree. I do oil analysis and the additive package with Redline 50WT has been good every time I checked. I run the oil for at least 1/2 season then have it analyzed. The oil itself would easily run a whole season, the problem I've had is high silica (dirt). After the last analysis, I replaced the oil fill cap o-ring which was hard as a rock and suggested as a source of the contamination (my air intake system is tight as far as I can tell). We'll see if it stays cleaner when I do another sample after the season.

Ron, I don't think the 50WT oil is slowing you down
Old Racer!

Re: OIL 11 years, 8 months ago #13812

• F1rocks
  • Junior Racer
Just did a fresh rebuild and decided to go "all out" on the oil.

Running the Miller "nanotechnology" oil from Karl Poetl.

I dyno'd the engine at break in and a second time after using break in oil and then putting in the full synthetic Miller. Saw 2.5% increase in hp and 2% in torque. Can't say how much is due to the engine just breaking in.

The oil after two full race weekends still looks very clean. Karl has run multiple weekends without changing. At the price, probably need to.....

Re: OIL 11 years, 8 months ago #13813

joeblow wrote:
I will bet you are running a K&N type filter and if you are skimping on the oil treatment you have found your source of silica. They flow more air but they also flow more dirt

I switched to an AEM dry element filter just for that reason. No oil required.

We'll see if the oil cap o-ring makes any difference on the next analysis.
Last Edit: 11 years, 8 months ago by 944Racer72.

Re: OIL 11 years, 8 months ago #13814

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I live in a small town where dirt track racing is big and my local speedshop is a good ol' boy hangout, and every time I buy something they ask me, just for fun now I'm sure, whether that's a big block or small block. When I talked to them this morning about all this oil discussion they said, and I quote"they'se ijits!". Billybob has spoken and 50wt it is! Acourse they only turn left and don't have a transmission so what do they know!

p.s. they said I'd be faster if I put this big wing on my car, is it legal?
Last Edit: 11 years, 8 months ago by rd7839.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds