Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Anyone else having real issues with the new tires?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone else having real issues with the new tires?

Re: Anyone else having real issues with the new tires? 11 years, 1 month ago #15473

• B1BFlyer
  • Senior Racer
I'm the one that had the tire on the rear mounted incorrectly during the NASA event at MSR. It lost about a silver dollar sized chunk past the splice as well as showed signs of splitting.

Ryan
Ryan Peterson
Abilene, TX
924s, #21

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.
Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by B1BFlyer.

Re: Anyone else having real issues with the new tires? 11 years, 1 month ago #15474

My experience is that they will split if mounted incorrectly, and often after only 1 or two sessions, but if you find it, and put it in the proper place before that split opens up, they will seal back down.

I emailed with Toyo tonight, and they are working on getting the tires in question.

Double check the mounting, guys, it is critical - date codes on the left on the front axle, and on the right on the rear axle. The tire shop needs to mount two tires with the date codes out, and two with the date codes in to make this work.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Anyone else having real issues with the new tires? 11 years, 1 month ago #15475

• Timwold
  • Senior Racer
CBtoyoRRissue.jpg

I believe all 7 of had the tires mounted correctly and had them on the car correctly. I confirmed that mine were on the car correctly. All of the cars had the seperation at the line on the rear tires. The attached picture is what happened to Blazer's tire after 4 heat cycles. Steve lost the tread all the way around the tire in a 2 " strip.

My tires were not as severe but after seeing those two tires we all decided to put the RA1s on and be slower.
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143

Re: Anyone else having real issues with the new tires? 11 years, 1 month ago #15476

Tim, thanks for the picture. That looks very similar to what happened to my first set, before the mounting reccomendations. I ran a 4.5 hour enduro, with probably more than an hour with a mild vibration that (in retrospect) was likely that flap missing. Can you confirm the location & orientation of that tire?

Do you have any pictures of your tires?

What I am most interested in at this time is if any tires confirmed mounted correctly have lost chunks of rubber like the picture, as that is something we had not seen yet, and would be important to know right away.

I'll keep in contact with Toyo on this.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Anyone else having real issues with the new tires? 11 years, 1 month ago #15477

• Timwold
  • Senior Racer
The tire that chunked was on the car correctly. It was a rear wheel.

My tires only have a slight seperate (1mm or so) that did not go all the across the tire. I do not have any pictures on my tires.

The issues we experienced at TWS have already been reported to Toyo.
Todd Imwold
1983 Spec Car #143

Re: Anyone else having real issues with the new tires? 11 years, 1 month ago #15478

Tim, thanks again, and for following up with Toyo. The Toyo engineer I emailed was aware of this situation. I will let you guys know when I know more.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds