Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Tires!!!!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Tires!!!!

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 11 months ago #16050

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
It looks like there's a flat spot in the 3305 picture which may account for your vibration issue.

I'm not saying that max camber is the end all be all of course, but I think it is fairly well accepted that these tires require more camber then the RA1s. (been racing the car for a year now and finally getting to messing with alignment settings/having the tools to do so.)

I just did a quick research of the SM and SE30 community boards and found very little in the way tread split/premature cording issues, at least verbally on the boards. I think we just have fewer tires in circulation due to the fact that we are the only series that really runs the different size causing these issues to linger a bit longer then the other 2 series.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 11 months ago #16051

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Thanks guys! So do you think if I swap them corner to corner I should be ok? I'd hate to give up a decent set of tires for nothing, but then again losing a tire through turn 10 at Sears Point would really ruin my day!

Good eye by the way, that is a flat spot on the right front. Trail braking into 4 lifts that tire just enough and after a couple of laps I flat spotted it. Interestingly it was subtle and hard to see while hot but when it cooled overnight it was plain as day! I figured that was my vibration, so less trail braking, more curb hopping!

And by the way Charlie, I'm the only honest racer in California. I have proof that y'all are cheating, the finishing order! Everybody in front of me obviously is cheating!! I'm clearly the most talented driver in a 944, or any car for that matter, and if I wasn't busy rescuing stray animals and helping old ladies cross the street all day, I'd be a highly paid professional. I'm also the most humble!

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 11 months ago #16052

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
You truly are the best Ron! No one can deny it now.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 11 months ago #16053

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Every indication I have seen is that swapping cross corner will seal the seam up because the loading characteristics of the tire swap also. Thats I guess why Toyo has the specified mounting procedures as well.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 11 months ago #16054

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
That as been my experience as well.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Tires!!!! 10 years, 11 months ago #16059

Ron, I would take them into a Toyo dealer. At least one looks bad enough to replace, and Toyo will replace them in pairs in any case. They may pro-rate the one that is not truly separating, but it would be worth it for new tires.

My experience is that in our size, the week 31-33 tires often split. Rotating them generally keeps them serviceable (i.e. seam, but not gaping split). I haven't seen or heard of any blow outs from this, as the issue does not affect the tire structure (though it can leave it exposed). The worst issue I've seen was on the 4.5 hour enduro on the first set I ran last October. The seam came apart, and a 2x3" chunk of rubber came off, showing the cords underneath. The tire felt like it had a mild flat spot, but was still fast, and lasted the race (I had no idea!). That was before the mounting recommendations, and was mounted backward on the front - worst case scenario. Toyo replaced the whole set at the time.

So far, the week 50+ tires have been better, but it's early.I have 15 heat cycles one one set. I replaced it with a sticker set, the same day as the 15th heat cycle (for comparison), and was no faster on the stickers that is encouraging. The second set seems to be wearing faster, but I did not heat cycle them, and ran a 45" race on them. I will be back on my 15 heat cycle sets this weekend for a test n tune, and will gather tire temp data.

My (evolving) thoughts on these tires:

1. They like a heat cycle. Run them in a warm up, and put them away for a day if you can.
My first set really seemed to like the by the book heat cycle they got, and have been remarkably consistant through 15 (fairly easy) heat cycles. These tires were raced in cool condition, and a several shorter sessions, so that may have helped as well. I'll wear them out this weekend, I suspect. The second set was bolted on, and abused during a long heated race 1st time out, and the second time out. fast, but seem to be wearing faster than set #1, even considering the heavier heat cycles.

2. They don't like small camber I'm not sure if 3.5 or 4 degrees in front is better (yet), but I wouldn't go less than that in front. In the rear, I'd go for max equal camber - 2.5 to -2.75 or so.

3. They may benefit from being flipped on the rim Those who've corded them, did so on the outside edge, almost exclusively

4. I have no idea on pressures yet, hope to after the weekend. It seems that about 40 hot has worked, but the SE30 fast guys are talking about 33 hot. Maybe the 205 on the 7" rim works differently? I'll experiment some this weekend.

5. Rotate them often

Experiences so far seem pretty varied. The only really consistent thing is that they are fun to drive, and fast. We'll have to see how far we can get them to last.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds