2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion
Last Edit: 9 years, 5 months ago by cbuzzetti. Reason: Too short

Re: Why are you in this class? 9 years, 5 months ago #18732

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
[quote="KB944" post=18725]There is definitely a lot of truth in your last reply Charlie.

Spec 944 = The best class to sandbag on the planet! (fixed it for you)

I dont get it, what am I sand bagging?

Am I holding back on car prep, driving skill, tires?

It is possible you dont understand the meaning of the word.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion

Re: Why are you in this class? 9 years, 5 months ago #18734

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I started out karting in my teen age years, working off my tab at the kart shop. I was never able to quite get enough together to be competitive like I wanted. It was fun, and it taught me the same sort of momentum carrying qualities that our cars respond to well, but then college got in the way.

After a hiatus from doing any racing or track events, I got a C5 Corvette from my brother that was already setup for HPDEs which I used mostly at TWS (an amazing track if you can make it out before it gets dozed for housing) while still in my last years of college and then during Flight School at Road Atlanta. While I knew I wanted to race, I also knew I couldn't race a C5 on my budget. While at Flight School and doing DEs with NASA-SE, I blew a tire on the front straight of RA in my C5, an event that was my 'come to Jesus' moment forcing me to decide if I was going to race my vette or get a dedicated race car.

The obvious choice at first glance in Texas was Spec Miata. 50+ car fields and own race groups meant that you always had somebody to race against, but due to my previous experience in a sealed motor spec class in karting, I knew the kind of tomfoolery it would take to run up front (see this years DQs at SCCA Nats). I also wanted to find a class that traveled well since I'm in the Army and PCS every 2-4 years. After leaving Texas, I was looking at moving to Colorado, California, or Kentucky.

One day after graduating from Flight School and while stationed at Fort Hood, TX, I ventured back down to TWS to visit with a Chump Car team I had talked to about possibly purchasing a ride with to get my feet wet racing again. It happened to be the Clownshoe Motorsports crew who was an avid 944-Spec racer at the time. He suggested I look into the class after mentioning I was looking at SM and liked the Spec idea, but wasn't really sold on the Miata. It then became a toss up between CMC (huge in Texas) and 944-Spec. I decided that I liked the 944 platform better due to its ability to race PCA, and the cheaper consumables as compared to the heavier CMC platforms. 944 Spec seemed to travel better to some of the regions I might go to down the road.

NASA numbers dwindled by the time I got my car with most in the region racing with PCA. The one other regular and I to NASA events had massive fun each race normally with a blanket covering the two of us.

Ive since PCS'd to Ft. Bragg, NC, and joined the SE region due to the better numbers (Im close enough to do Mid-A, but theres only 1 car). The SE region is growing thanks to the efforts of Chicken Shack Racing and the comraderie/support the class gives each other. We should have close to 10 cars on track regularly next season. I am now the series director for the SE Region and am making it a point to do driver development sessions, coaching, and car advice. I plan on making a traqmate database on this forum in the SE section of all my fast laps for other to dissect.

Anyone is welcome to inspect and look over my car as I got lucky purchasing one that was fast out of the box. The first time I touched a suspension setting on the car was 2 years after purchase and that was only a sway bar setting for a rain race. I went to 9 different tracks before going to the same one a second time.

My mantra that I am promoting in the SE region is that this a class for racers to have fun, race clean, and help each other out both stay on track, and get faster. After all, the faster we are as a whole, the more fun were having.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Why are you in this class? 9 years, 5 months ago #18756

Nice thread guys, though I'm weary of the online potshots, and more of this will be moderated.

As far as Toyo payouts moving forward, manipulating them, especially on a National level is not going to fly. Through the specific efforts of your 944 Spec directors, were able to negotiate with NASA/Toyo to get payments further down the field for larger fields. It is at least something, and felt by Toyo to be a significant concession specifically for our concerns. At the Championships they want things a certain way, and if we manipulate that, we risk it going away.

That said, I think it is incumbent on those who benefit from this to make an extra effort to help there peers in this class, and I see that happening on many levels. Neal Agran & Jason Stanley (Ag Racer) are sharing data and taking time to coach racers. Charlie makes the effort to coordinate fish dinners, etc., and is generous with his parts, and setup information.

You can take a cynical view, and look at it as buying people off, or you can enjoy that more effort is make to make the experience better than any other class I've seen. Though I've had my differences with some in the past, on the whole a very good effort is made, and I choose to be appreciative of that, and move forward. Let's keep work at making this better!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 9 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Why are you in this class? 9 years, 5 months ago #18759

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Thank you Eric for clarifying the NASA/Toyo relationship.

We dont do alot of data in So-Cal but we do share alot of video after the races and work on driver developement at almost every event.

I enjoy helping my fellow racers and sharing meals and skills is some thing we do frequently.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion

Re: Why are you in this class? 9 years, 5 months ago #18761

We should do more with data in So Cal, actually. It would be nice if we could find someone who could give us a little bit of a "data tutorial." I think even for those of us who have data systems, we're probably not using them to their full potential.

I can envision this to be a fun exercise, and something that would benefit everyone, even those (not me) with advanced data skills.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds