TOPIC: Seat Advice?

Re:Seat Advice? 15 years, 2 months ago #3738

• fishguy
  • Comp School
Omn3d0n wrote:
Hi,

I am 6'1" weighing in around 205 lbs. Does anyone have any advice
on a good seat that will be comfortable with hans support and
side head restraints. I would like to spend less than 1K.

Thanks
Sid

Sid, I am 6 feet, 200 lbs and have an 87 944.
I just put in a sparco circuit pro and its fantastic. you will need to have a removable steering wheel for it to work getting in/out of the car.
I used the standard sparco brackets, and had a shop do some mods to them and now the set up is perfect. i needed to have the seat mounted on the highest mount in the front, and the lowest in the rear on the sparco mounts to make it work with the HANS.
THEN when i got that set up, we added in the correct length for the removable steering wheel so i could reach it comfortably.
sounds like a lot of work, but the seat was well worth it IMO.
edit: i forgot to mention that i must remove the lower seat pading or i dont fit into the seat/car well at all.
Josh
Last Edit: 15 years, 2 months ago by fishguy.

Re:Seat Advice? 15 years, 2 months ago #3752

• Omn3d0n
  • Comp School
Is anyone running a OMP Pista? Does having a side
head restraint remove the right side net requirement?

Thanks
Sid

Re:Seat Advice? 15 years, 2 months ago #3753

Omn3d0n wrote:
Is anyone running a OMP Pista? Does having a side
head restraint remove the right side net requirement?

Thanks
Sid

15.17.9 Head Restraint – Side Impact
All vehicles must be outfitted with a right-side impact head restraint system. A seat with
a “bolster” to keep the head from moving to the right side in an impact is acceptable.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Seat Advice? 15 years, 2 months ago #3761

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
I have a halo seat and a fixed (non release) steering wheel, quick car exit and entry is not a problem at all.Although, I'm 6 feet and 165 lbs... IIRC my seat is a momo cobra or something like that.

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:Seat Advice? 15 years, 2 months ago #3814

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I have a ButlerBuilt seat with a halo, shoulder braces and added leg supports in front. The seat is not custom, you measure yourself up and they give you a seat that fits your body. I am 6' and 220lbs and after two or three attempts to get into and out of the seat, it was no problem for me. The seat is not adjustable in my car, it is set for me. I have a removable steering wheel

The best part of this deal is the seat, complete was in the neighborhood of $500. I don't remember the exact model but can find out if you want to follow up on this and look into purchasing one.

Now for my seat lecture. This seat is safe, it has high sides coming up above the hips. It also has deep sides that fit snug around the ribs. When you are belted in, you will NOT move around in the seat while you are on the track. In my opinion, that alone will improve your dirving because you are one with the car. Of course, ribs are a weak part of the body and must not be used to support you in a crash as they will crack/break. The seat has adjustable shoulder pieces that wrap around your shoulders. You fit them to exactly where they need to be and bolt them onto the seat. The shoulders are the strongest point in the upper body and will keep you in place in the event of a crash without breaking ribs. The halo is great as well.

As you may know, ButlerBuilt makes lots of seats for NASCAR and they know seats for protection. And remember, most crashes are mulitple impacts. Believe me, this seat rocks and for a GREAT price compared to lots of the others.

Good luck with your seat selection and your racing.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds