Help!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Help!

Re:Help! 14 years, 5 months ago #6508

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
No, seam welding car is not legal.

These cars do not need that anyway. Plenty stiff, I do not even run a tower brace.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:Help! 14 years, 5 months ago #6509

I cleaned out all the tar and I found that the floor pan had rust that had eaten through the seams and the floor pan was being held in place by the joint sealant Im not sure what to do about it. I was thinking to clean the metal and weld it back together but I wanted to know if it was legal before i started. but since its not... What can I do to fix this? I was only going to weld the damage area which is the left front floor pan and the right front.
Last Edit: 14 years, 5 months ago by Leonel_944.

Re:Help! 14 years, 5 months ago #6513

Seam welding is not legal. However you may restore the back to factory specs using spot welds of the same size and spacing. Now I have never had to deal with rust on any 944 so I am not sure what that kind of welding involves or if it possible.

Now I know you are thinking "it just the damaged area", but it is far too easy to say the "damaged" area is alot bigger that what it is and using the repair guise get around the rules.

If the tub is that bad I may not be worth trying to salvage.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Help! 14 years, 5 months ago #6514

It also looks like someone didn't know how to jack up the car which bent the sheet metal in a way that created a dip, that allowed water to accumulated in those areas
which caused it to rust.

The car had some leaks that i have already repaired. Also when you hit the tray you can hear how loose it
is. Which I don't think its safe.

The rust has caused the original spot welds to fail. The area that is my concern is not that large about 6 inches of the floor pan is hanging on the passenger side and about 3 inches on the driver side.

I was asking about seam welding because if it where legal I would go ahead and just weld all of them while Im in there with the welder but since its not I am asking if its OK just to repair what needs repairing.
Last Edit: 14 years, 5 months ago by Leonel_944.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds