Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Noob needs help/advice w/front struts
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Noob needs help/advice w/front struts

Re:Noob needs help/advice w/front struts 14 years, 1 month ago #7225

LanceR wrote:
Hello Joe!

What have you found to be about the best balance between the front and rear spring rates (60/40%)?

Lance

Most everyone runs 30 mm t-bars. Some guys have tried 28s a few years back. I tried 28's and never like them.

So with the rear done you get the fronts.
I run 350lbs. Some others run 400lbs. Either will work and really can't say what is best. I would like to try 400s one day.

There are even some that run 250lbs in front. To do that you need to um match the sway bars. Ie run big front sway bar and small rear.

Most guys that run 350/30 or 400/30 run balanced sway bars. Meaing big in front and big in rear. I run 28 mm weltmeister front and 22 mm weltmeister rear.

These are adjustable and I can tune them for what I want to feel.

Now about spec miatas.

The two classes are very similar in speed. The Miatas corner a little better, but we have more hp and higher top speed. Personally most spec miata I run with are slower and I drive by with ease Howver I am not in very hotly contested Miata area. I know that some are quite fast. Driver skill is big factor. In equally skilled hands in highly prepared legal cars it mostly a wash. In fact it is very track dependant on which is faster.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Noob needs help/advice w/front struts 14 years, 1 month ago #7227

• LanceR
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks for the comments.
In Midwestern Council there is a 944 that is very competitive in ITS but the level of competition may not be what it is in SCCA.
Given that you're suggesting the 944 Spec setup just exactly what is that? I can't afford to spent my money twice.
Coming from a Miata I'd like to think that the 944 could be a bit faster given the extra displacement, it feels faster in a straight line and pulls past where the 1.6L Miata runs out of breath, the brakes seem to be equal, but the extra weight might hurt cornering. I'm a mediocre, elderly driver whose best time in the Miata was about a second or two off the record you mention so the car has to carry me.
What is the participation like in 944 Spec in NASA at BHF?
I might think about running a race or two this year when Council has time between events.
Do you happen know Miata driver Brian Domont?
Lance

Re:Noob needs help/advice w/front struts 14 years, 1 month ago #7228

• LanceR
  • Drivers Ed
Just saw your comments, Joe, and they pretty much match up with my conclusions. The tightness of the nut behind the wheel still determines the result once the car is capable, and mine is definitely not capable, at least not yet.
The current springs and bars allowed me to run over the curbs like a Cadillac would, they're not nearly as stiff as on the Miata.
Let the fun begin!
Lance

Re:Noob needs help/advice w/front struts 14 years, 1 month ago #7232

Lance,

A 944 Spec setup is 30mm rear torsions, 350 or 400 front springs (I've run both, and prefer the 400's, allows me to run a softer front swaybar, and have a bit less dive under braking.

Anti sway bars are open. Most use Weltmeisters, some 968 M030 bars, and a few Tarret bars (probably the nicest, but most costly).

We should see around 10 cars at the Blackhawk event. Your MW council comp license would get you a NASA comp license if you apply. Hope to see you out there!

944s have to compete with the dominating E36 BMW's in ITS on a national level, but maybe no one has brought one out in the MW council yet?

I know Brian Domont pretty well. Very good driver in a SM.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 14 years, 1 month ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Noob needs help/advice w/front struts 14 years, 1 month ago #7237

• LanceR
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks for the comments Eric, hope to see you someday soon. Say HI to Brian for me the next time you see him, I used to rent his Miata back in 2002-2003.
Lance

Re:Noob needs help/advice w/front struts 14 years, 1 month ago #7244

Cool.

Lance, send me an email: Eric dot Kuhns at Gmail dot com, and I'll put you on the 944 Spec MW mailing list.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds