Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

STEERING RACK
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: STEERING RACK

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 11 months ago #10995

85.5 is early offset so you just need the 83 tie rods and rod ends. You cannot use your tie rods because the thread is different on the rack end. The length is fine, but one is male thread and the other is female. However standard 83 manual steering tie rods with will fit right up.

Also you will need the manual steering rack intermediate shaft. This is a different length from the powersteering intermediate shaft. This shaft goes from the rack to the steering wheel.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 11 months ago #10997

• mug23
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks Joe for the info.

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 10 months ago #11175

• genikz
  • Junior Racer
I "depowered" my rack by removing the seal that pushes the fluid around, and makes it difficult to steer when not powered. I love the results, and don't find it difficult to steer at all. I auto-x often, and have no trouble with slaloms, or navigating around in the pits.

I've driven a car with a manual rack, and it certainly requires less effort, but the difference is not enough to warrant the increased expense and change in steering ratio in my opinion.

Here's my write-up:
www.brooksbabies.com/porsche/steering-rack-how-to.pdf

Cheers,
Chris

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 10 months ago #11181

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Great write-up. I have a spare rack so I am going to try to emulate what you did and put it on the new car so I will be able to compare a simple de-powered one and your system. I will report back when I have done so.
Jim Foxx

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 10 months ago #11210

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
How long have you had your rack like that Chris? Any problems so far having just grease in there? I am currently following your write up and almost finished. What was so bad about installing your tie rods? Thanks for the write up, probably saved me 400 from buying a manual rack and new tie rods for it.
-Aaron

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 10 months ago #11211

• genikz
  • Junior Racer
It's been about a year and a half, including roughly 15 auto-x events and 4 or 5 DE's. I also flat tow the car, so it's been fairly thoroughly tested. I haven't noticed any "wear" on the rack or negative impact to modifying it. This winter I will likely pull the boots off and inspect the rack more closely. In my opinion, the wheel bearing grease I used is much more durable and offers more wear resistance than power steering fluid, but I'm no engineer.

The tie rods are a pain in the ass regardless of your steering setup. They're just difficult to get started (the inner threaded ends), and my wrench was a little too fat for the flat notches on the inner tie rods to tighten them, so it was "knuckle-bust-fest 2009"

Glad to hear this saved you some cash. Keep in mind, I only did this because my power steering system needed service and I had a full backup system from a parts car, in case I didn't like it. I hope the results are favorable for you. If it still requires too much effort for your liking, hit the gym!
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds