Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

STEERING RACK
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: STEERING RACK

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 10 months ago #11213

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I started racing right after shoulder surgery so I originally kept the power steering and loved it. After getting better I took out the pump and took out the seals in the rack and just greased it, worked good although I did miss the power steering. Last year I was chasing a vibration up front so I replaced everything including the rack, which is just a "looped" rack(thanks Jerry!). I can't tell the difference between the two at all and next time will just do whatever is easiest. I will say that if the power steering wasn't leaking and I wasn't worried about weight, I'd keep it! The feel is much better.

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 10 months ago #11214

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
Thanks again for the help. My rack needed to be serviced also, so it was this or manual rack and manual racks seem impossible to find. This seems just as convenient and saves me some money.
-Aaron

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 10 months ago #11218

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
Chris one more quick question. I noticed you used the mobil 1 synthetic grease, I ended up using Swepco 101 since I was a little impatient and didn't see why the Swepco wouldnt work just as well. After I reinstalled everything, I noticed that the inside rack was kinda hard to push back and forth and can't remember if that was normal or not or if I used too much grease.

Other than that, the procedure was incredibly easy and feels good to clean up that rack anyway since it had a huge leak lol.
-Aaron

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 10 months ago #11219

• genikz
  • Junior Racer
I'm sure the viscosity is pretty similar. I could see that if too much grease was packed into the guide for the rack that you could create some suction that you'd have to overcome.

If I remember correctly, once I got the rack reassembled, I could move the rack side to side by turning the input that the steering shaft mounts to, by hand. It's still very hard to turn by hand, I don't think it should be impossible.

Another test that's pretty easy is to reinstall the rack on the crossmember and slide the steering shaft coupler back on. You can then use the steering wheel to ensure you have a smooth operation. Without the tie rods connected, the wheel should feel feather light.

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 8 months ago #11452

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
Chris, what would you recommend for a plug of the compensating line? I have thought about getting rid of the line completely and just plugging it but it isn't a bolt. Did you just put your line back on?

Thanks again!
-Aaron

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 8 months ago #11457

• genikz
  • Junior Racer
I just reused it. It weighs next to nothing.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds