Username Password: Remember me

STEERING RACK
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: STEERING RACK

Re: STEERING RACK 13 years, 2 months ago #9866

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
I also ran a de-powered rack with the lines looped for a while - it was fine but a but more muscular in the pits. I did switch to a manual rack.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: STEERING RACK 13 years, 2 months ago #9867

That's good info, I always assumed the PS rack without power would be much harder to turn, even on track. I think I ran mine de-powered for a while but that was a long time ago and I don't remember.

Do you guys take the PS rack apart and fill it with grease? I've heard you should do that if using a PS rack as manual.

Anyone know the difference in weight just for reference?

Re: STEERING RACK 13 years, 2 months ago #9869

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
My little scale only goes up to 12 lbs so I couldn't weigh the racks. My best guess would be 6-8 lbs.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: STEERING RACK 13 years, 2 months ago #9870

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
I just filled it with as much fluid as it would hold and then looped the lines. I'd guess filling with grease would be a better solution but more work.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: STEERING RACK 13 years, 2 months ago #9894

Sterling Doc wrote:
I agree with Big Dog. I've run a depowered power rack from the beginning. Only noticeable effort wise in the pits. Just loop the input/output lines to each other.

I agree with Big Dog and Eric. However I choose to run a manual rack. I have run all 3 configurations Power, Depowered and Manual. My preference is for manual, but to be honest it comes down to what you like.

I love the clean simplicty of manual rack. Less crap under the car and less stuff to leak.

One important note is that late offset cars must use hard to obtain longer manual steering tie rods. For some reason the thread on the tie rods and different and the manual ones doe not interchange with power ones. The later offset cars have longer tie-rods. So you must get the special turbo cup tie rods as no cars were sold in the USA with late offset manual steering. It makes it more expensive and is one reason alot of late offset guys use the rack depowered.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by joepaluch.

Re: STEERING RACK 12 years, 11 months ago #10994

• mug23
  • Drivers Ed
Hi All:

I'm new to 944 and doing a build. I have a 85.5 and about to convert to a manual rack. I do have the manual rack itself and that rack is from a 83 car. I'm confused as to which tie rod end or tie rod assembly I need for my 85.5.

If anyone can tell me, that would be great.

Thank you.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds