Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Weltmiester Sway Bar parts
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Weltmiester Sway Bar parts

Re: Weltmiester Sway Bar parts 12 years, 11 months ago #10791

Jerry,

I have a Weltmiester front bar that I took off of an early car I sold and I need to put it on a late car. If you have the late drop links I'll trade you even up for the my early links. If you don't have the late links and just want to buy my early ones, make me an offer because I truly don't know what they are worth. I have the entire front drop links and mounting assemblies for the early control arms. Sorry I don't have the rear links.
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
NASA Certified Instructor
NASA AZ Licensing Director
2012 AZ Region 944 Spec Champion
Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by spec944#74.

Re: Weltmiester Sway Bar parts 12 years, 11 months ago #10793

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Email replied to - we can trade. Great to see the regions helping each other out.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Weltmiester Sway Bar parts 12 years, 11 months ago #10863

Hi Jerry,
Just curious, what exactly did you guys swap?

Here is what I have and obviously missing the mounting mechanism for either arms:

What pieces are actually different between the late and early mounting? All I have is the early instructions in pdf. Obviously the mounts to the arm is different (metal type round bushings vs. rectangular plastic bushing/metal plate) Are the drop links different as well?

Looking at pics of Joe Paluch's install on rennlist it seems like the top part of the drop link (not the adjustable part) is actually longer than the ones I have...might just be seeing things though.

forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/924-931-9...ons-help-please.html

Any insight appreciated, thanks!

Thanks,
Sam
85.5 944 Spec #51 - Midwest
86 951

Re: Weltmiester Sway Bar parts 12 years, 11 months ago #10864

The only difference is the mount to the late arms vs the early arms. Otherwise everything is the same.

So what you have are all the common parts. You just need the mounts to the arms you plan to use.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Weltmiester Sway Bar parts 12 years, 11 months ago #10866

joepaluch wrote:
The only difference is the mount to the late arms vs the early arms. Otherwise everything is the same.

So what you have are all the common parts. You just need the mounts to the arms you plan to use.

There are actually several other differences between the early and late sway bar mounting hardware. In addition, you are missing several important pieces that you need to mount the bar on a late car.

Joe is right that the link from the sway bar to the control arm is the same for both, except for the end piece that fastens it to the control arm, which is triangular shaped on the late bar and rectangular on the early (see photo). Also, on the late bar there are two round, puck-like bushings that drop into the round casting at the end of the control arm, one on top and one underneath, and the bolt from the end piece of the link goes through all of that to mount the link to the control arm. You are missing those bushings.

The second major difference is that there are two flat pieces used to mount the late bar to the frame on each side (see photo). The longer piece mounts to the frame with two long, sleeved bolts, and the shorter piece attaches to the long piece with two bolts that go through a shackle over the big rubber bushing on the sway bar (see photo). The shorter piece is over twice as thick as the one used on the early bar (in fact, Joe only has single piece on his) because of the difference in the length of the tie rods and control arms from early to late. You are missing that shorter bar. You also appear to be missing those long bolts and sleeves that attach the longer bar to the frame.

Jerry and I actually exchanged the entire set of mounting hardware and links, so it worked out very nicely for us. If you can't find the parts somewhere, none of these parts are complex and you can fab up just about everything you are missing as long as you get the geometry right. You really need to use someone else's hardware as a template to make sure you get it right, but you might be able to get it done with some accurate measurements. The end links can be made from square metal stock quite easily, just make sure to use metal as heavy as the stock link, because the first time we made one it only lasted three days before it cracked off right at the bolt connecting to the control arm. That was before Jerry came to the rescue with his complete set of late hardware.

I am not the best mechanic in the world, so I hope my description didn't do more harm that good. Best of luck with this. You sure don't want to be paying retail for this stuff!
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
NASA Certified Instructor
NASA AZ Licensing Director
2012 AZ Region 944 Spec Champion
Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by spec944#74.

Re: Weltmiester Sway Bar parts 12 years, 11 months ago #10867

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Thanks for answering Steve - Nice clear way of showing the differences.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds