(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Radiator Support

Re: Radiator Support 12 years, 10 months ago #11124

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
That would be great Big Dog. Email to ximaz1 at yahoo.com

Thanks!

Going to try and get it straightened out tomorrow. Greg you should come down with Blake.
-Aaron

Re: Radiator Support 12 years, 10 months ago #11136

Or you can buy a replacement section and weld in the whole new section. A guy sells them on ebay for ~ 250 shipped. I hit a tire wall at an angle earlier this year and bent both "frame rails" forward of the shock towers along with all the sheetmetal. I straightened that enough to put new sheetmetal on and ran the whole season to date like that. My clutch went at the last event so I've now got the engine out to fix the clutch and weld in a new front section forward of the towers.

My damage was more extensive than yours so I had a local junk yard cut off the entire front end of a car from the firewall forward so I can make my cut where I need it. That cost me $350 for the section.

Re: Radiator Support 12 years, 9 months ago #11138

• Big Dog
  • Banned
With the minimal damage to your radiator supports, by far the easiest is to remove the radiator and fans. Then pull, bend, beat the supports out. If you need to, use the original support to bolt a piece of al to and bend it over at the bottom to use to mount the radiator cross support to. With just a little effort, you can get it back to where the radiator will go back in and be just fine.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: Radiator Support 12 years, 9 months ago #11139

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
I have to say, after seeing your car and the state of the fasteners underneath, we had better buy stock in whatever company it is that manufactures PB Blaster I'm kidding, it looks like a great platform to me from what I saw the other day - straight other than the radiator portion, and I think that after reinforcement you should be in good shape. I'll be stuck working and prepping the 951 for this weekend, but the next week we might try to coordinate a day off to go work on your car -- fab up this radiator thing once and for all after hopefully having the motor out. Let me know what you think!
- Greg - #518

'88 944 Spec Racer - Race Ready! (finally)

Re: Radiator Support 12 years, 9 months ago #11140

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
944Racer72 wrote:
Or you can buy a replacement section and weld in the whole new section. A guy sells them on ebay for ~ 250 shipped.

This is an interesting thought - it would probably be the cleanest ( I know how important that is to you ) but probably overkill (hopefully?). Like I said, lets try to work out a day to get some more done on the car and get closer to being able to do some serious work on the rad. support. The body shop idea was a good thought as well.
- Greg - #518

'88 944 Spec Racer - Race Ready! (finally)
Last Edit: 12 years, 9 months ago by GT944. Reason: shortened quote
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds