Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New Guy in RMR, Basic Diagnostic Question For 944
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Guy in RMR, Basic Diagnostic Question For 944

Re: New Guy in RMR, Basic Diagnostic Question For 944 10 years, 6 months ago #16738

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Perhaps you are getting oil onto the exhaust and that is what is causing the smoke? If so, you can top off the oil and get it out and drive around the block a time or two to see what happens. If it is oil dripping onto the exhaust, it will smoke like crazy but, unless you have quite a bit, it should not catch fire. It that is the case, you might clean it up as well as you can, perhaps find a way to diaper the leak area and go give your new baby a spin, to see what she feels like, and then put her away and start taking her apart and turning her into what she wants to be - A RACE CAR

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: New Guy in RMR, Basic Diagnostic Question For 944 10 years, 6 months ago #16742

• dmdirks
Bishop415 wrote:
The smoke is coming from the exhaust manifold, around the area of the exhaust port for the #4 cylinder. It's taking a few minutes to appear because it's caused by fluid (not sure which kind yet) burning off of the surface of the manifold after it heats up.

Check the back of the cam tower. There is a small cover attached with three M6 bolts (the rear engine lift hook is attached to this cover also) that tends to cause a similar leak to what you are describing.
David Dirks
www.944MotorWerks.com
2010 944-Spec National Champion
Rocky Mountain Region
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop415

Re: New Guy in RMR, Basic Diagnostic Question For 944 10 years, 6 months ago #16748

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
Hi John

We have our last event of the year this weekend at High Plains Raceway... if you have time on Saturday you could swing by and meet the group.

Also, check out nasarockymountain.com - that's our local NASA forum.

David Dirks is a fantastic local 944 Engine guru. He built my motor in 2009 and I've had zero issues with it.

Please send me an e-mail and we can talk... glad to have you as a Rocky Mountain 944 Spec soon to be racer!

bottoz at yahoo dot com
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop415

Re: New Guy in RMR, Basic Diagnostic Question For 944 10 years, 6 months ago #16776

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Dave, I do think that's where the leak is coming from, but I'm over the idea of trying to get it to stop smoking for five minutes so I can take it for a lap around the block. Time's a wastin', and this thing isn't going to turn itself into a race car while I stand around looking at it. I'll be in touch shortly once I get the engine out. I'm hoping to put this car on the track in the spring.

Tomorrow might be a little tough for me to get out to High Plains. I've got two little kids and this weekend is wall-to-wall with Halloween parties. I might see if I can sprint out there during naptime if I won't have missed everything by then. I'll check the NASA site for the schedule.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds