Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Budget Build 944 Spec racecar - updated 2/17/09
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Budget Build 944 Spec racecar - updated 2/17/09

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 3 months ago #3017

Looks good, Eric!

BTW we have moved the Hanksville website to a new server/host. Our new address is still

www.hanksvillehotrods.com

And our 944 page is now

www.hanksvillehotrods.com/Products/Ready...bid/571/Default.aspx

My email is having some issues but at least the website has been moved over. I'll work of formatting and add more 944 cage pics/info this weekend. Thanks!
www.944cage.com
www.hanksvillehotrods.com
In-house mandrel bender
Custom-fitted, ready-to-weld mail-order 944 cages

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 3 months ago #3070

Build Party!

Thanks to Nick of Bennington Motosports for providing Pizza, & know how for the party. Thanks to Jim Hartman & son Kelby for doing a lot of the heavy lifting, and welding! Thanks also to Ray Freundt , Angel Blasquez, and Rob Sheiring for their help as well.

Pics:

Nick shows how you open a Heinekin .

Powerful minds at work (daydreaming?)

Contemplating the shiney torsion tube we found at the estate auction (with bushing that don't quite fit :banghead:

Nick's got it handled (thanks!)

Kelby got out the entire rear suspension in one piece.

The newest 944 Spec Driver pics up his "new" car - the current National Championship 944 Spec. Welcome aboard, Rob!

Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 15 years, 3 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 3 months ago #3154

Got the dash mocked up.

Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 3 months ago #3212

• Jump07
  • Senior Racer
Thanks for this insight and knowledge. I am currently building a Spec 944 car and need a cage soon. Is this "introductory" price you paid Hanksville for anyone? Meaning can I get the same cage for $1300?

Weld-in Roll Cage from hanksvillehotrods.com:
Base cage, regular price: $1,274.93
Introductory pricing discount: -$318.73
Base cage, discounted price: $956.20
Additional bars as discussed (NASCAR-style door bars, both sides; dash bar, footwell connectors, both sides; rear brace diagonal): $276
Shipping, introductory half-price: $81.19
Roll Cage Total: $1,313.39
Jeremy Mathews
NorCal
1985 944 #07
2003 GMC 1500 Sierra Z71

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar-MW winter project 15 years, 3 months ago #3213

I think the introductory price/sale has passed, but talk to Hank to confirm. He updated his contact info a few posts up. I can tell you this, you won't be dissapointed with the cage. Just the few extra corner braces I've made have made me appreciate how much work notching & fitting the tubes takes.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Budget Build 944 Spec racecar - Updated 1/25/09 15 years, 3 months ago #3250

Lots of more work done today

First, go the dash mostly done - just needs paint. and a top cover, once the windshield goes back in. The Traqumate will go on the upper right, and I still need a fuel gauge and voltmeter. Getting there...

Next, put another roof bar in. The Hanksville cage has an option for a dash bar that I ordered. This bar has bends require to clear the stock instrument panel. With the new rules allowing a fabricated dash, I replaced the dash bar with a straight piece of DOM that runs just above the steering column. I sawed off the part of the unused dash bar from the Hanksville kit to use as an extra roof bar, as the bend worked perfectly. I though about a diagonal, but want to keep this bar further away from my & head & that of any passengers (I instruct & carry passengers at times).

The 2009 rues also allow replacement of the sunroof with a metal cover. The stock sunroof panel weighs 20lbs :eek: (17.5 with the interior trim removed), so this was worthwhile. I replaced the panel with a fairly thick aluminum panel (90/1000ths or about 13 gauge) cut to fit the opening. This came in just under 8 lbs, for about a 10 lb reduction in weight up high. This new rule levels the playing field with the rare non-sunroof cars, and gives more headroom for taller drivers, with little cost incurred.No exotic carbon fiber panels allowed to swing the balance the other way, and drive up the expense! [Forgot to take a picture of the new roof :(]

The only other new allowed mod became a bit more complex than I intended. The rear spare tire well compartment can now be modifiied (in the small tank, lighter earlier cars), or removed (in the big tank, and heavier later cars). Since my car is an 85.5, with the larger 21 gal plastic tank, I went about taking that out while I had the rear suspension & transmission out. After making some attempts to work around the gas tank, I elected to remove the tank to do this job more safely and effectively. This is a bit of a project, as there are many vent lines, and it's a tight fit. In the process I also found out that the gas cap was locked, and I didn't have a key. I was glad I found that out when I had the tank out, so I didn't have to worry about metal filings geting into the tank when I drilled the lock out of the cap!

Here is the hole I created, being careful to leave the right rear frame rail that abuts the well, and the rear structural parts intact:

Looking back from the front of the car at the rear structure I left intact.

Here's what I cut out (which weighed 18 lbs)

A look at the other side brings up another point. The gas tank straps hook onto the front of the rear spare tire well. While the tank would not fall out without these (it's also bolted in & sandwhiched between the body & trans), I still want the straps in there, and will have to fabricate extentions to the straps that hook up to the the remaining structure securely. You can see the hook up points on the straps here (middle and upper right):

After it's all said & done I'm not sure this project is worthwhile unless you can't reach minimum weight any other way, or you're ambitious and already deep in tearing the car apart (my situation). I would not do this without pulling the tank, and take a good long look at the car's structure, or you could easily cut important parts out (like the right rear frame rail, or bumper structure. :eek: Also remember that early cars cannot do this (though they can modify the well - see the 2009 rules).
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds