Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Kanas City 944 Spec Cars
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Kanas City 944 Spec Cars

Re:Kanas City 944 Spec Cars 15 years, 3 months ago #3235

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
I'm now working the rest of the front of the car - putting in brake cooling ducts and figuring out how and where to mount the turbo oil cooler set up I have.

I've been told that n/a 944s get very hot - and even a stock 944 turbo oil cooler doesn't help much. Does anyone the running "hot" issues and what did they do to fix the problem. I've been told to hook up 2 oil coolers to help alleviate the problem.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Kanas City 944 Spec Cars 15 years, 3 months ago #3237

One good sized quality cooler like a Sertrab or Mocul works well. Most cars out here mounted them out front of the radiator down low, behind a debris screen.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Kanas City 944 Spec Cars 15 years, 3 months ago #3240

Try water wetter mixed in the coolant. I know that Paragon products sells it for approx. $9 for 12oz. I dont know if any sponsors do though. I ran my car in Utah at MMP in the end of September. Not very hot outside but the car was overweight and I was trying to chase down some slow 911s:woohoo: and I had no cooling issues at all. I ran a 944S that needed an external oil cooler with water wetter and she was still hot in the summer at MMP.

Just my 2 cents
- Blake

1988 Black Spec-944 #141 - McDonald's

Re:Kanas City 944 Spec Cars 15 years, 3 months ago #3242

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
I run a mix of water and motormax (similar to water wetter) for cooling system.

I also heard of someone upgrading the radiator to some kind of BMW model that mounts directly in place and is larger and does a better job cooling.

I'll look into a motul or setrab oil cooler - maybe find a way to run AN hoses from the turbo adaptor as I'm eliminating the internal bath oil cooler.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Kanas City 944 Spec Cars 15 years, 3 months ago #3245

Joel,

Give Nick a call at Bennington Motorsports - he is working on fittings to adapt the 951 housing to AN fittings. Agreee with the water wetter thing. With a good cooler, and a clean radiator + water wetter, my motors have stayed quite cool, with oil temps in the low 200's. We don't make that much power, so we don't have as much issue as turbos, and more highly tuned 944's.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Kanas City 944 Spec Cars 15 years, 3 months ago #3247

jaje wrote:
I'm now working the rest of the front of the car - putting in brake cooling ducts and figuring out how and where to mount the turbo oil cooler set up I have.

I've been told that n/a 944s get very hot - and even a stock 944 turbo oil cooler doesn't help much. Does anyone the running "hot" issues and what did they do to fix the problem. I've been told to hook up 2 oil coolers to help alleviate the problem.

Ok here is the deal.

944 spec cars don't run that hot.

Here in Arizona we have been racing them since 2002 and run under some of the warmest conditions you can imagine. 105F in the shade and 170F track temps.

Here is what works.
Cut out the bar between the lights on front spoiler. This gets more air to radiator.
See this picture.

BTW.... screens are a good idea to limit rubber/rock debris being lodged in the radiator.

Two.... use a new radiator. Sure they cost money but work better than many 20 year stock ones.

Use a fresh water pump. Again they work better than old ones.

Three turbo oil cooler to replace stock. This has two effects. 1) Is to cool the oil 2) this not as apparent, but since stock NA is oil/water cooler this puts less load on the water system since you are not putting hot oil into the water. With turbo cooler I see water temps of 212F or so peak and with direct wired fans I can run any combo of 1, 2 or no fans to suit the conditions.

My 944 spec car does not overheat even racing hard at 105F. I will overheat long before the car.

Oil temps will go up to 260F or so under these conditions measured in the bottom of the oil pan (drain plug). Not ideal, but manageable and I will change the oil more frequently in 100F races vs 60F races. I have been running the car like this for many years I can tell you it works just fine.

I also run water + water wetter in the cooling system. Simple and effective. Also most antifreezes are not allowed in race cars.

The only time I ran into an issue in the last few years as night enduro. Air temps were 110F during the day, but cooled at night some. However I ran much of the race righ on the car's bumper in front and in the draft. Coming that with surface flags for crickts covering track like gravel that were plugging screens I had pull out of draft for few laps to lower oil temps some.

BTW... my turbo oil cooler is mounted my pass side fog light hole. No brake duct there.

So this
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 15 years, 3 months ago by joepaluch.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds