Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

external oil cooler need thermostat or not
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: external oil cooler need thermostat or not

Re:external oil cooler need thermostat or not 14 years, 8 months ago #5375

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
One thing I noticed when replacing my leaking MOCAL cooler was that they (Earles) reccommend getting a releif valve if you like to rev your motor before the oil is up to temp. The pressures are too high for the cooler when the oil is cool. Does the thermostat control this as well? I have a sandwich plate that I think has a thermostat built in since it has a spring loaded fitting inside. When I bought the set-up I didn't even know to ask.
Last Edit: 14 years, 8 months ago by 944cer.

Re:external oil cooler need thermostat or not 14 years, 8 months ago #5376

the #96 car also runs with out a thermostat . it just takes longer for the oil to warm up. also if you run a large cooler you could wind up never coming up to temp...

Re:external oil cooler need thermostat or not 14 years, 8 months ago #5377

Gary, thanks but I just ordered the kit from BAT and it would have saved me $25 bucks.

I'll let you all know how it turns out and looks with a DIY writeup.

Re:external oil cooler need thermostat or not 14 years, 8 months ago #5378

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
944cer wrote:
One thing I noticed when replacing my leaking MOCAL cooler was that they (Earles) reccommend getting a releif valve if you like to rev your motor before the oil is up to temp. The pressures are too high for the cooler when the oil is cool. Does the thermostat control this as well? I have a sandwich plate that I think has a thermostat built in since it has a spring loaded fitting inside. When I bought the set-up I didn't even know to ask.

Technically the thermostat isn't a relief valve, but since it will be closed when the oil is cool, nothing will be flowing to the cooler at that point, and thus you shouldn't need to worry about the pressures being too high in the cooler as nothing will be flowing through it.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec

Re:external oil cooler need thermostat or not 14 years, 8 months ago #5379

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
nkgosselin wrote:
Gary, thanks but I just ordered the kit from BAT and it would have saved me $25 bucks.

I'll let you all know how it turns out and looks with a DIY writeup.

No problem - good luck with the install! I'll look forward to seeing your writeup when it's all done.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec

Re:external oil cooler need thermostat or not 14 years, 8 months ago #5384

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
I bought the Turbo oil filter housing to eliminate the internal bath oil cooler - and the turbo oil filter lines - I then had a hydraulic shop make up extension lines to run them to the 13 row Mocal oil cooler mounted up front. I basically run a modified 951 Turbo setup with front mount oil cooler.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds