Username Password: Remember me

Painless Wiring
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Painless Wiring

Re: Painless Wiring 12 years, 6 months ago #11648

• seafeye
  • Senior Racer
Thanks for that diagram.

How about the DME? I am ready to start tearing out my wiring but have concerns as to what wires will be needed for the DME.
I will be keeping the car street legal. So wipers/flashers etc.... must all be working.

Re: Painless Wiring 12 years, 6 months ago #11650

The DME is shown on the diagram (late car). The connection at the DME and the engine harness remain stock. I tapped in at the big plug next to the brake booster.

You'll have to add circuits for lights and all of those things as I didn't have them. If I were attempting to remain street legal, I'm not sure I'd hack up the harness.

Re: Painless Wiring 12 years, 6 months ago #11655

• seafeye
  • Senior Racer
Ya i wish the stock harness wasn't 40lbs. Its a mess of crap. So i have started to cut into it and what a chore. It really hasn't made this work on car day any fun. Neither was taking the key steering lock out. My ears are still ringing from the drilling.
I just finished doing a complete wiring harness for an old british car. It wasn't that bad. So i may tackle putting one in this car. THe only thing i know for sure is that the stock wiring has to come out. What a disaster. The unknown is what to put in it's place.

Suggestions....

Oh i have given in on a couple items. Like no heat or A/C.
The blower motor and heater core etc... are all history.
But the car has to remain street legal. Having a trailer in my neighborhood isn't going to happen. Plus there are some great roads here in N.C. that need to be driven.
Found a Painless Harness here locally at a hot rod shop. Will install that next week.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by seafeye.

Re: Painless Wiring 12 years, 6 months ago #11813

• seafeye
  • Senior Racer
Couple of questions about your diagram if you don't mind. Might be a couple of stupid ones so please be understanding.

The dots with "T2" or "T1". What do they represent?
Are the rectangles fuses?
The "C42, IDLE SPEED" where do i find that?
How is the O2 sensor heat wired?
Can you explain how the "DME P20 Ref Sens GND" should be wired?

Well that's it for now.
i got all my brake lights and stuff to work. All lights up front too. No horn. Can't seem to figure that one yet. Just make a clunk noise.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by seafeye.

Re: Painless Wiring 12 years, 6 months ago #11815

The T's with dots are terminals in a terminal block. I used a terminal block to distribute power where one wire needs to feed multiples. The other way to do it would be multiple pole switches (like the stock ignition switch).

The small rectangles off the relays are fuses.

C42 idle speed is the Red/Blue wire coming from the engine harness as shown. Those wire colors are straight from the factory diagrams.

The 02 sensor heat is the Black/Green wire from the engine harness. I used my ignition wire to feed both of those as in the original Porsche design.

Hope that helps.

Re: Painless Wiring 12 years, 4 months ago #12343

• seafeye
  • Senior Racer
Two more questions.....promise not to be the last....ok 3

The pos + and neg - on the ignition coil...did you just run a black wire from the negative contact to the green wire on the harness next to the brake booster?
And the pink wire just gets power from the ignition switch?
The factory wires that were connected here, did you just remove them?

Thats all for now.....thanks
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds