Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Painless Wiring
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Painless Wiring

Re: Painless Wiring 9 years, 4 months ago #18999

Thank you very much Atteberry and cbuzzetti, that's great news considering the dash was already removed by the PO! Most of the original harness is still there, however, so I will tear into it this winter. Cheers
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
1984 Porsche Carrera 3.2
1989 Porsche 944-spec racecar

Re: Painless Wiring 9 years, 4 months ago #19000

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
gnadenstoss wrote:
Plus 1 for the diagram cbuzzeti, I need all the help I can get. Please PM me a copy o' dat!

While on the dashboard topic, are there ANY requirements to keep ANY of the original dash? I can't find anything in the rulebooks saying we need to keep it.

Pretty cool how a post that started long ago can come right back to the present and be so helpful, cheers!

Per our class rules:

17.2.2 Dashboards may be modified or replaced with panels that will conceal the instrument cluster and remaining dashboard wiring. Dash areas must maintain a clean and neat appearance. Additional gauges may be added. Stock gauges may be removed or replaced.

Just like it says, nothing stock has to remain to be compliant. What does have to happen is the dash you replace it with must be presentable. This helps promote the class when we have neat and clean interiors.

When I removed the early style dash in my car, I cut it with a saw down the middle which allowed me to pull the dash without removing the windshield. I wasn't concerned with keeping the stock dash for any purposes. At the same time I replaced the dash, I rewired the entire car aside from the engine harness which got rid of all the mess of wires and fuse box under the stock dash. The dash is from GT Racing.

J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 9 years, 4 months ago by AgRacer.

Re: Painless Wiring 9 years, 4 months ago #19002

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
One side note be careful on removing wiring. If your car has an OEM alarm system (you will know because there is a little lock on the diver side rear quarter panel just aft of the door) do n to remove as it will disable the DME not sure of the details on how to deal with this situation but I know you do not just remove that wiring and circuit.

Re: Painless Wiring 9 years, 4 months ago #19004

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
When I took out wiring my car wouldn't start even without an alarm. Turns out in leu of a factory alarm they loop 2 wires together through a connector. Luckily I saved everything and took pictures b4 cutting and was able to see the looped connector and trace back to where it went.

Re: Painless Wiring 9 years, 4 months ago #19009

Thx guys, really helpful. I've read all the rules for the different series/classes but wanted to get the "spirit of the rules" version from you guys. Don't want to be "that guy".

Dash photos, like AgRacer's, are worth a thousand words, just sayin'....

Again, thank you.
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
1984 Porsche Carrera 3.2
1989 Porsche 944-spec racecar

Re: Painless Wiring 8 years, 5 months ago #20038

• mjensen
  • Drivers Ed
Any chance anyone can respost the wiring harness? specifically the wiring connections where the engine harness plu by the brake booster is?

Send to: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds