Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 11 months ago #10753

There is a section in the rules about ballast and how many mounting points you need for every lbs of ballast. I forget the exact limit, but for my car I had system of 4 10lbs barbell weights where I used 4 bolts. With system I could run zero 40lbs of ballast in 10lbs increments.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 11 months ago #10754

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
I did something similar for my formula car...although I could never get my BBQ stove to heat it up enough to melt it all. I used a non stick bread loaf pan to make the bars. I didnt neet as much ballast in that car (I was about 215 at the time ).
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 11 months ago #10757

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
cgktexas, the BBQ grill's main burner heat is to general. You have to use a stove type burner to concentrate the heat. Some grills have a stove type burner on the side. Mine doesn't, that's why I used a coleman stove.

joepaluch wrote:
There is a section in the rules about ballast and how many mounting points you need for every lbs of ballast. I forget the exact limit, but for my car I had system of 4 10lbs barbell weights where I used 4 bolts. With system I could run zero 40lbs of ballast in 10lbs increments.

There is no limit on on how much ballast one can put in their car. "Ballast shall be made of solid metal, and must be installed securely. All ballast must be
secured using at least one 3/8-inch grade 5 bolt, two ‘fender washers’ and a locking nut system for every ten pounds of weight, mounted in the passenger side floor pan no further rearward than the front holes of the seat bolts."
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 11 months ago #10758

Hmm maybe it would have been nice to cast in 4 studs to use for mounting. That way you don't need to drill holes in the ballast to secure it. As it stands it looks like you will need 8 mounting bolts.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 11 months ago #10759

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I thought about that too......after I was done casting them.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 12 years, 11 months ago #10761

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
joepaluch wrote:
Hmm maybe it would have been nice to cast in 4 studs to use for mounting. That way you don't need to drill holes in the ballast to secure it. As it stands it looks like you will need 8 mounting bolts.

I had considered that in the past, but chose against it. lead being as soft as it is, the potential for any cast in bolts turning when tightening, or if using short bolts cast in with large washers, if they are too short could pull out in an accident. Hate to have 40# of lead flying in the cockpit during an impact.

I ended up drilling, using longer bolts and large washers to get good clamping of the weight.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds